Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repository for "Firefox" and "Thunderbird"

Beans

Repository for "Firefox" and "Thunderbird"

Hi all,

First off I want to say that I am NOT trolling or flaming, so please do not interpret it that way.

I have been thinking about setting up an apt repository to host builds of Firefox and Thunderbird with the official branding switch disabled. I know some people do not want to use the Debian patched builds of Firefox, nor do they want "IceWeasel" or "IceDove".

My school can probably host it, so bandwidth is not an issue. Right now I'm just attempting to gadge interest before going through the trouble of setting things up and doing builds, etc.

Any input (non-flaming) is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Repository for "Firefox" and "Thunderbird"

I'd rather have a non-Ubuntu version of Firefox. Only being able to update Firefox when Ubuntu wants me to is annoying. I like trying out the betas and RCs of Firefox 2.0. Been running Firefox 2.0 on my Windows machines since beta 1 came out.
    -Matt
    (Ubuntu user #9138)
    (Linux User #419497)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure I understand you.

Your repositories would have builds "with the official branding switch disabled"? So how would that be different from IceWeasel?

Do you mean that they would be the official builds or not? If they are the official builds, you don't need a repository. As long as people have them installed, they're self-updating, and there are some damn good scripts out there for installing them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Uhm im not too sure how much my reply relates to this, at the moment i hate firefox that ships with ubuntu, its giving me serious problems when i follow links, like after the 3rd or 4th link it just wont load pages anymore, so currently i swithced over to chromium that doesnt give me this issue at all, however im looking for an ubuntu repo, the one i got from the homepage isnt working, keep getting error msg

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozi...6/Packages.bz2 Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

im not very clued up but yeah, not working, any help to get me downloading firefox 3.5 and repo for updates?

Thanx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

heh, forgot to subscribe =]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Shea7993 View Post
    Uhm im not too sure how much my reply relates to this, at the moment i hate firefox that ships with ubuntu, its giving me serious problems when i follow links, like after the 3rd or 4th link it just wont load pages anymore, so currently i swithced over to chromium that doesnt give me this issue at all, however im looking for an ubuntu repo, the one i got from the homepage isnt working, keep getting error msg

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozi...6/Packages.bz2 Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

im not very clued up but yeah, not working, any help to get me downloading firefox 3.5 and repo for updates?

Thanx
    Try the Psychocats method, it worked for me. You just download the file from mozilla, place it in your home folder, then copy and paste one happy command and you are done.

Beans

Cool Re: Repository for "Firefox" and "Thunderbird"

I Know About Ubuntuzilla but i'm looking for the official repository for thunderbird-3.0/3.1

please help?? Does anyone know what it is?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by wfarr_09 View Post
    I Know About Ubuntuzilla but i'm looking for the official repository for thunderbird-3.0/3.1

please help?? Does anyone know what it is?
    there is no such thing. if mozilla did host a repository, there would be no need for ubuntuzilla in the first place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is no official Ubuntu/Mozilla repository for Thunderbird 3.0. You can get Thunderbird 2.0 from Ubuntu Mozilla Security PPA, or Thunderbird 3.0.1pre from Ubuntu Mozilla Daily PPA, but there is no PPA for regular 3.0.

This was driving me nuts, thanks to this thread I have some form of a solution.

Thank you.

Also, the link to Ubuntuzilla is http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

by the way, i'm working on setting up a repository with the official mozilla builds repackaged into .debs. stay tuned for the news - or check out the ubuntuzilla testing thread here with to keep track of the progress:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=467724

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast