Thread: does anyone have expertise with Ventoy persistence?

Beans

does anyone have expertise with Ventoy persistence?

hi ,

I set up a multi boot USB stick with ventoy, and everything seems to be functioning correctly after playing around with it for a little bit.
    I have dragged a few ISO images into the proper ventoy folder, and can run each one.

I have tested Ubuntu 20 , Ubuntu 22 , kali , Mint 21.2 , tails, and a couple others.

I have a problem with the persistence on all but linux mint.
    none seems to be able to remember the wifi network and password after I reboot.

If there's anyone that has got this to work, could lend a hand please, it would be appreciated if you could tell me what I need to do to fix this.

I was following a youtube video when I set it up, so I was just copying and pasting the files as the video instructed.
    please let me know what info I need to post to explain the situation better , if needed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: does anyone have expertise with Ventoy persistence?

Multiboot USB drive

It can be a good idea to have a Ventoy multiboot USB drive to run live sessions and installers. But I would not use it for persistent live systems, because you may run into conflicts because the same file system(s) and/or files might be used by more than one of the persistent live systems.

Live (live-only) operating systems

I prefer to get (download) current iso files and clone them to an SSD connected via USB. (The content of a multiboot USB drive will soon get old ...)

Persistent live systems

I use mkusb to create a persistent live system of Ubuntu Desktop or Ubuntu family flavours (Kubuntu, Lubuntu ... Xubuntu).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't use Ventoy with Persistent. Mine's on an external ssd, that I drop ISO's into and boot to install.
    You did read this?
    https://www.ventoy.net/en/plugin_persistence.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I don't use Ventoy with Persistent. Mine's on an external ssd, that I drop ISO's into and boot to install.
    You did read this?
    https://www.ventoy.net/en/plugin_persistence.html
    I did see that, it was linked in the tutorial I was following, and I was using the OS's that were on the list.

Beans

ok, thx.

I will check that mkusb

Beans
    Hidden!

@Gatorade,

If you run your computer in UEFI mode with secure boot, and the computer and/or your UEFI/BIOS system is rather new, you may have problems with persistence by mkusb via 'dus-persistent', but it should work via 'dus-iso2usb' and via 'mkusb-plug'.

Good luck

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    @Gatorade,

If you run your computer in UEFI mode with secure boot, and the computer and/or your UEFI/BIOS system is rather new, you may have problems with persistence by mkusb via 'dus-persistent', but it should work via 'dus-iso2usb' and via 'mkusb-plug'.

Good luck

I turned off the secure boot, it would not boot into the USB stick otherwise.
    I will let you know if I run into problems with mkusb after I try it.

something did go wrong with my Ventoy USB build , possibly an error with the persistence I was messing around with.
    I don't know what the problem is, but none of the OS will connect to the wifi now, whereas it was connecting perfectly before I played around with the persistence.

I think, I may just format the drive and start over again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I played with Ventoy about 5 years ago, it will make persistence files greater than 4GB, which have exFAT file system with "unlimited storage". Information on the persistence plugin is on this page: https://www.ventoy.net/en/plugin_persistence.html.
    I recall it took me about a day to build.

I prefer Full-install multi-boot USB's myself https://askubuntu.com/a/1293548/43926