Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I've lost the ability to change the brightness of my monitor

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: I've lost the ability to change the brightness of my monitor

I can't vote for it, it's not happening on mine.
    It dose not seem to gather any interest in fixing it.
    But your convinced it's not a keyboard driver so I'll just watch from the sidelines.

If it was me I'd file it on ACPI.
    Just trying to help.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The setting is under the brightness file under the (simulated) /sys/class/backlight/acpi_X... Which that folder is really a symlink, which points /sys/devices/<Bus>/<slot, etc>/acpi_videoX/

Here is something to try. (Is not persistent...) You need to be root, because of the permissions on the settings file...
    Code:
    sudo su -
    Paths=$(find /sys/devices/*/*/ -name acpi_video* 2>/dev/null) && for Path in ${Paths}; do grep . $Path/brightness; done
    It will output what the brightness settings current are... Lets say it says "15". "12" would be about 75% of that right?
    Code:
    for Path in ${Paths}; do sudo echo "12" > $Path/brightness; done
    Play with it, and see if it changes anything for you...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 13th, 2024 at 11:04 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I know very little on this subject to help but what I tend to do when I'm stuck is grab the evidence as written in your bug report and submit a Query to a Chat GPT assistant - Phind.com in my case - to let it do more detective work. Unfortunately the reply is submit a bug report. But this workaround is mentioned.

• Use xcalib: Another workaround involves using the xcalib tool, which can adjust the screen brightness if your video card supports the relevant extension. To test if xcalib works on your machine, you can install it and run xcalib -i -a. If this command inverts the colors on your screen, it means xcalib is working. To revert back to your original screen, run the command again. Then, you can configure xcalib to adjust the brightness 5.

sudo apt install xcalib
    xcalib -i -a

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Please vote for it (log in, and select the green writing near the top left).
    No. I don't even remember my GitLab login. And I'm not going back to the top "User-Hating" thing I've ever experienced.
    It's probably good for developers, but NOT for users.
    You will get zero votes. No user logs in unless it's a masochist.
    If you're really lucky, a developer might have the same issue and give you a vote, but don't hold your breath.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    But your convinced it's not a keyboard driver so I'll just watch from the sidelines.
    I'm unsure how it could be a keyboard driver, because it's not related to any keystrokes? Or is the keyboard driver somehow related to the monitor brightness settings? If I can change the brightness with xrandr, that's nothing to do with the keyboard, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    If it was me I'd file it on ACPI.
    Do you mean on Launchpad against ACPI? Or is there some other place where I should report it? Sorry, I'm rather ignorant in these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    sudo su - …
    For me, I get zero results with this:
    Code:
    sudo su
    find /sys/devices/*/*/ -name 'acpi_video*'
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    … xcalib …
    Well, xcalib does work on my machine. But, I didn't understand how to amend the brightness. In the end, trying to amend the brightness got me into a spot of trouble — I had to reboot the machine because I couldn't see what I was doing, ha ha! I'll stick with xrandr.

Quote Originally Posted by ne29914 View Post
    No. I don't even remember my GitLab login. And I'm not going back to the top "User-Hating" thing I've ever experienced.
    It's probably good for developers, but NOT for users.
    You will get zero votes. No user logs in unless it's a masochist.
    If you're really lucky, a developer might have the same issue and give you a vote, but don't hold your breath.
    This isn't GitLab; it's Ubuntu's Launchpad. I've issued plenty of bugs on Launchpad, and many of them have been addressed and fixed. There's no "user-hating", which fortunately for me, I don't think that I've ever experienced. Certainly never on Launchpad.

But, I need someone to vote for the bug report, because when you get zero votes, it's automatically closed after a while. If you could please vote for it — that's all you have to do, there's no "user-hating" — then at least someone will start to look at it. If it's not suitable for Launchpad, someone will tell me where to repost the bug — but that won't happen without a vote! (You log into Launchpad with the same ID that you use to log into Ubuntu Forums; you don't have to create a new account.) Thank you
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I looked back at your first post to see which computer is was, then did a bit of digging...

Kernel module 'dell_uart_backlight' is responsible for controlling the brightness on that. When there is a problem with that, then the brightness control widget can disappear or not work correctly... They started having problems with Mantic, which uses Kernel 6.5 (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1491...in-computer-de) Jammy 22.04.3 last week just went to kernel 6.5.0-14.

The User found that if he booted with one of the 6.2.0-X kernels, it then worked again. So the problem is related to Linux kernel 6.5.0-14...

Digging deeper, I found this Bug Report which affected module 'dell_uart_backlight' related to 6.5.0: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/2032174

You can see that one that Bug Report, the fix was patched for Mantic, in source package 'linux-oem-6.5'. At the time, Jammy wasn't running kernel 6.5... But it did say that fixes where applied to jammy for both 'linux' and linux-oem-6.5'...

I would file your bug at LaunchPad, using the "Report a Bug" link in the upper right of that page, against 'linux' and 'linux-oem-6.5'.

I might also use find, to look to see if the kernel module 'dell-uart-backlight.ko' is in the modules directory in the 6.5.0 kernel tree
    Code:
    find /lib/modules -name dell-uart-backlight.ko
    I can see it built on mine, but cannot confirm that it is working (on machines I have 6.5.0-14 still installed), as I don't have any Dell's here.

Me??? I'm having problem with Linux Kernel 6.5.0-14 also... But on NVidia drivers not building modules for that kernel in Jammy. That kernel is also affecting some users using VirtualBox from the repo's for Jammy.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 14th, 2024 at 05:24 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I looked back at your first post to see which computer is was, then did a bit of digging...
    Thank you! You found much more than I did. Thank you for the links.
    The User found that if he booted with one of the 6.2.0-X kernels, it then worked again. So the problem is related to Linux kernel 6.5.0-14...
    This is exactly what I found, which I've mentioned in my bug report (as noted below).
    I would file your bug at LaunchPad, using the "Report a Bug" link in the upper right of that page, against 'linux' and 'linux-oem-6.5'.
    Thanks, I have done this.
    I might also use find, to look to see if the kernel module 'dell_uart_backlight' is in the modules directory in the 6.5.0 kernel tree
    This, unfortunately, gave zero results:
    Code:
    find /lib/modules -name dell_uart_backlight*
    Me??? I'm having problem with Linux Kernel 6.5.0-14 also... But on NVidia driver not building modules for that kernel in Jammy. That kernel is also affecting some users usig VirtialBox from the repo's for Jammy.
    Do you think that this is related?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yours is Intel UHD 6XX graphics right?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 14th, 2024 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yours is Intel UHD 6XX graphics right?
    You seem to have duplicated most of your previous post!

To answer your question, I don't know how to tell, but I tried this:
    Code:
    $ sudo lshw -numeric -C display
      *-display                 
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] [8086:9BC5]
           vendor: Intel Corporation [8086]
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           logical name: /dev/fb0
           version: 05
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
           configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 resolution=1920,1080
           resources: irq:145 memory:c1000000-c1ffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
    Does that answer your question, or do I have to look elsewhere?

EDIT: Oh, wait, the answer is yes!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

LOL. Dang. Didn't notice I had double posted...

Here is what I have with that (and I don't even have Dell):
    Code:
    mafoelffen@Mikes-B460M:~$ find /lib/modules -name dell-uart-backlight.ko
    /lib/modules/6.5.0-14-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/dell/dell-uart-backlight.ko
    /lib/modules/6.2.0-39-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/dell/dell-uart-backlight.ko
    But that one does have
    Code:
    mafoelffen@Mikes-B460M:~$ lspci -nnnk | grep -A3 -E 'Display|VGA|3D'
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] [8086:9bc5] (rev 05)
        DeviceName: Onboard - Video
        Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] [1458:d000]
        Kernel driver in use: i915
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 14th, 2024 at 08:08 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast