Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 NICs on KVM host

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

2 NICs on KVM host

I want to use my extra NIC card (1 port), that I have plugged into a PCIe slot, and assign it to my WG VPN vm. Trying to figure out how to either assign or passthru this nic. The KVM host is on Ubuntu 22.04 with a netplan file creating a bridge (br0) for my Nextcloud server to run on. I am not seeing a way to assign this other physical interface in virt-manager. The only option I see under network source is either br0 or Macvtap. Perhaps Macvtap? Or, can I set up a second bridge (br1) in the same .yaml file for this interface assignment? I’ve read some about PCI passthrough and the process seems tricky and not always reliable. I appreciate any ideas

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 2 NICs on KVM host

One use case in my situation:

Use ifconfig to get the names of your interfaces. I usually assign the VM a Macvtap device with the name of the interface. Bear in mind that macvtap does not usually facilitate direct host-to-guest communication, so you'll have to treat the VM as just another machine on your LAN. I have 14 available NICs on this particular machine, so I can assign individual NICs to VMs permanently. I also have a 24 port switch that everything is individually connected to. You may not find this the best solution for your use case.

You can find details at https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking and make your choices.
    Last edited by QIII; January 5th, 2024 at 09:54 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Much thanks QIII, this helps, some new information I hadn’t found yet. I should have this sorted out today.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

RE: https://wenchma.github.io/2016/09/07...deep-dive.html

I did mine a bit differently... With my old Dell PE T720, I had many NIC's as that machine was designed as a virt host... But my newer workstation only came with a single onboard NIC.

What I added to my workstation was a 2 port PCIe x4 lane Intel 82576 chip'ed NIC. That is SR-IOV capable where I set one of the ports as my Bridge, and the other I setup as SR-IOV, with 8 virtual ports. The NIC was $35 new. These cards come in PCIe x1 & x4 for the same price.

I have mine setup by just adding two boot parameters, and defined in my netplan yaml file. Then a short XML file to add it into the KVM networking. Fairly painless.

It worked so well, and was so much easier than I remember it being prior to 18.04... That if I did it again, I would do it a bit differently... See below.

A Dell Intel i350-T4 is Quad-port and is PCIe x4 lane. Each port can be split into 8 virtual ports... And can be had between $35 to $85 dollars. That comes out to 32 ports, for about $2.65 a port, if you picked it up on the high end of that scale ($85). A very good value, and a wise long-term investment.

I used PCIe x4, because I was worried about throughput. (Even though SR-IOV spec's are rated high) I thrash that machine and the loads I put on it... But I do have my media server on it. If it affects my wife watching what she is used to and wants to watch... It gets scary. I need to keep her happy and content. LOL.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 8th, 2024 at 12:23 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Code:
                    WAN
                    |
                 ___|_________
                |  pfSense    |
                |   Router    |
                |____ (en01)__|
                        |
                        |
                        |-------(VLAN - en01.2) 192.168.23.0 (subnet)
                        |
                        |
                        |10.11.37.0 (trunk subnet)
                        |
                    ____|___
                   | switch |
                   |________|(dumb/unmanaged sw)
                     |  |
                  ___|  |
                        |
                        |
                    ____|_______
                   | KVM Host   |
                   |            |
                   |_nic1__nic2_|
                      |     |
                      |     |
                      |     |
         10.11.37.5 (br0)   |
                      |     |
                      |     |
                 (NC VM)   (WG-vpn VM)
             10.11.37.10     192.168.23.112 (VLAN)

Thought I'd try some ascii art.

This is what I am trying to do. To use 1 port off the router, through my dumb switch, and onto my KVM host machine. There are 2 VMs (Nextcloud & Wireguard vpn). I have other physical machines connected to this switch as well but I'm focusing on this branch. I am thinking of involving the router to create a vlan to help with some isolation between the VPN & the KVM host, by putting the VPN on a VLAN subnet. Essentially isolate the VPN server.

At present, I have 2 NICs on the KVM host but neither support SR-IOV. I can run 2 cables between my dumb switch & the host but this doesn't seem to achieve the goal. I would have each VM on a separate NIC but there would be no isolation as I see it. The switch is not VLAN smart and cannot help control traffic. I prefer not to have a managed switch.

@MAFoElffen, I did just order that PCIe Dell quad port device for the KVM host. I do know that my MB supports SR-IOV & IOMMU. Not sure I'll know how to use it when I get it, LOL... Will I even need to deal with using a VLAN if I can get this virtual networking set up right on the host?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aljames2 View Post
    At present, I have 2 NICs on the KVM host but neither support SR-IOV. I can run 2 cables between my dumb switch & the host but this doesn't seem to achieve the goal. I would have each VM on a separate NIC but there would be no isolation as I see it. The switch is not VLAN smart and cannot help control traffic. I prefer not to have a managed switch.

@MAFoElffen, I did just order that PCIe Dell quad port device for the KVM host. I do know that my MB supports SR-IOV & IOMMU. Not sure I'll know how to use it when I get it, LOL... Will I even need to deal with using a VLAN if I can get this virtual networking set up right on the host?
    I figure with a KVM host, you can never have enough network ports to play with!!!

VLANs -- Though I have trained on them and done them, while training for CISCO CCNA... I don't find a need for them here. Besides, then to get out of that VLAN to something else, then you have to route to there.

For SR-IOV, at first I did via a vfio.conf file in modules, excluding... But then after doing that that way, I found I severely overthought that!!! It can be done a lot simpler and easier...

First your find the ID of the NIC in lspci
    Code:
    mafoelffen@msi-ubuntu:~$ lspci -nnnk | grep -E 'Ethernet'
        DeviceName: Onboard - Ethernet
    06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:125c] (rev 04)
    07:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10c9] (rev 01)
    Then in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line of /etc/default/grub:
    Code:
    mafoelffen@msi-ubuntu:~$ grep 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT' /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="-- splash intel_iommu=on iommu=pt igb.max_vfs=7"
    Then, after a reboot, I do 'ip a' to confirm it's split out, then do my netplan file
    Code:
    mafoelffen@msi-ubuntu:~$ grep . /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml
    # This is the custom network config written by MAFoElffen
    network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
        enp6s0:
          dhcp4: false
          dhcp6: false
          addresses:
              - 10.0.0.5/8
          nameservers:
              addresses: [8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4]
          routes:
              - to: default
                via: 10.0.0.1
                metric: 100
                on-link: true
          mtu: 1500
    ## Begin SR-IOV on enp7s0f0 
        enp7s0f0:
          virtual-function-count: 7
          optional: yes
        enp7s0f0v0:
          link: enp7s0f0
          addresses:
              - 10.0.0.10/8
          nameservers:
        enp7s0f0v1:
          addresses:
              - 10.0.0.11/8
          nameservers:
        enp7s0f0v1:
          addresses:
              - 10.0.0.11/8
          nameservers:
        enp7s0f0v2:
          addresses:
              - 10.0.0.12/8
          nameservers:
        enp7s0f0v3:
          addresses:
              - 10.0.0.13/8
          nameservers:
        enp7s0f0v4:
          addresses:
              - 10.0.0.14/8
          nameservers:
        enp7s0f0v5:
          addresses:
              - 10.0.0.15/8
          nameservers:
        enp7s0f0v6:
          addresses:
              - 10.0.0.16/8
          nameservers:
    ## End SR-IOV on enp7s0f0
    ## Begin Bridge on enp7s0f1
        enp7s0f1:
      bridges:
        br0:
          interfaces: [enp7s0f1]
          addresses: [10.0.0.6/8]
          routing-policy:
               table: 10
          # ** ADDITIONAL ROUTING POLICY **
             - to: 172.16.1.0/24
               table: 172
          # *******************************
          routes:
             - to: 0.0.0.0/0
               via: 10.0.0.1
               table: 10
          nameservers:
            addresses: [8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1]
          parameters:
            stp: true
            forward-delay: 4
          dhcp4: no
          dhcp6: no
    ## End Bridge on enp7s0f1
    Then apply
    Code:
    sudo netplan generate
    sudo netplan apply
    Done.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 17th, 2024 at 07:01 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the details, this helps!
    That new… (new to me)… card arrived today, I will be working on this very soon. The extra ports will come in handy because I do want to add a few more servers to this host.

Beans
    Distro

An update

I received the Dell I350-T4 Quad port card I bought, I thought it was new, at least it was advertised as such, but it wasn't. Anyhow, after running lspci, I noticed it did not show the SR-IOV capability. I made sure the IOMMU & SR-IOV setting was enabled on the MB as well as in grub. After some reading on the Intel website, I learned that some of the Dell OEM cards are know to have the SR-IOV disabled on the card. In particular the Gigabit cards. I think there is another version, perhaps I350-T4V2 that is fine. If you get the Intel retail version of the card then it comes with SR-IOV enabled. I think Dell figured users of a gigabit card would not need SR-IOV. Perhaps they are right. I shipped that card back.

I had another card lying around that I had thought a few years ago wasn't working but turns out it does work. I guess I didn't know what I was doing with it previously It is a Intel Gigabit ET 82576 Quad Port server adapter. At first, I had no lights on any of the ports, so I figured my original theory of a broken card was true. Then I found a "Gen" setting in my Asus Bios for the PCIe 16_2 x4 slot. The default setting was Auto which didn't work. I knew this older card was likely not Gen-3 or Gen-4, so I set it to Gen-2 and voila, the card works. I have the VFs set up now & so far so good.

Wondering if I should let the Host be assigned by itself to the MB integrated port, and put the VMs all on this card, that's what I am thinking..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Good job. It may help others here to share what settings and changes you made to your /etc/default/grub and /etc/netplan/<Named>.yaml file so they can do the same...

Just a thought.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Good job. It may help others here to share what settings and changes you made to your /etc/default/grub and /etc/netplan/<Named>.yaml file so they can do the same...
    Thanks, I do plan to share all I’ve done here soon. I am still trying to sort out getting my PCIe nic to pass through. My issue is an error that virt-manager gives about some devices in the same IOMMU group need to be bound to a VFIO driver. It is IOMMU group# 15. I have 18 devices all lumped in this group. Some of which are upstream root based devices, such as a few cpu & bridge functions. The root devices are not the issue, but all of my nics, VFs, & an onboard NVMe are also in this group. So I either need to pass all the non-root devices through to the VM which I don’t want, or somehow detach the device I want to pass. I have read about overriding ACU which eliminates isolation and is a last resort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast