Thread: Should I be concerned Firewall apparently "inactive" for months?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Should I be concerned Firewall apparently "inactive" for months?

Hello all,

It appears that my firewall has not been enabled since a clean install of Lubuntu 22.04.3 LTS many months ago. Just on a whim, I just ran the terminal command: "sudo ufw status" and got back "Status: inactive" . So I ran the Terminal Command "sudo ufw enable" to enable the ufw.

Since it appears, however, that I have had the Firewall unintentionally turned off for months since the installation, should I be concerned that my system has been compromised?

Is there anything I should do?

Thank you,

A.

Beans

Re: Should I be concerned Firewall apparently "inactive" for months?

Do you use a router? It should have a firewall that rejects any incoming traffic unless its associated with an outgoing request from your OS.

FYI, I don't have ufw installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AbleTassie View Post
    It appears that my firewall has not been enabled since a clean install of Lubuntu 22.04.3 LTS many months ago.
    Yes, that is normal.
    A stock install of Ubuntu has only a couple listening services: DHCP and similar excitements. None of them have any known vulnerabilities. And you, using your sudo power, can turn any off if you wish.

Try this command to see what ports your system is listening upon, and which applications are doing the listening.

Code:
    sudo ss -tulpn
    If you find a listening application that you don't understand, ask about it.

A firewall is not a magic talisman against all malice.
    A firewall is a tool. Know the purpose of the tool and use it properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks for your replies Dennis and ian. Ian I took your suggestion and ran "sudo ss -tulpn" and the output I got is attached as a screenshot (I could not easily copy and past the output into this post). Any comments you or anybody else has would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Able

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please post text, not images. Hard to read the image or select/paste specific lines to help the discussion.
    All the things listening on 127.x.x.x aren't any issue. Only the local system can access those.

Please make it easy for others to help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Fu,

I pasted the output of the "sudo ss -tulpn" below. I tried to make the output as readable as possible.

Abe
    Code:
    able@able-x556uq:~$ sudo ss -tulpn

[sudo] password for able:

Netid       State   Recv-Q        Send-Q                                    Local Address:     Port                    Peer Address Port                           Process

udp         UNCONN        0                                0         0.0.0.0:52189                    0.0.0.0:*                             users("pia-openvpn",pid=4317,fd=4))            

udp         UNCONN        0                      0               127.0.0.53%lo:53                               0.0.0.0:*                                                   users("systemd-resolve",pid=585,fd=13))        

udp         UNCONN        0                         0         0.0.0.0:631                     0.0.0.0:*                           users("cups-browsed",pid=2529,fd=7))           
     udp         UNCONN        0                         0         0.0.0.0:37749                 0.0.0.0:*                           users("avahi-daemon",pid=687,fd=14))           
     udp         UNCONN        0                         0         0.0.0.0:5353                   0.0.0.0:*                           users("avahi-daemon",pid=687,fd=12))           
     udp         UNCONN        0     0       [fe80::5305:a61b:25d2:4ef4]%wlp3s0:546                         [::]:*                 users("NetworkManager",pid=772,fd=27))         
     udp         UNCONN        0                        0        [::]:5353                            [::]:*                                 users("avahi-daemon",pid=687,fd=13))           
     udp         UNCONN        0             0       [::]:47458                           [::]:*                                     users("avahi-daemon",pid=687,fd=15))           
     tcp         LISTEN           0                       50    127.0.0.1:44031                     0.0.0.0:*                            users("pia-daemon",pid=813,fd=39))             
     tcp         LISTEN           0                      128  127.0.0.1:631                     0.0.0.0:*                            users("cupsd",pid=811,fd=8))                   
     tcp         LISTEN    0          4096                                      127.0.0.53%lo:53                                     0.0.0.0:*                      users("systemd-resolve",pid=585,fd=14))        
     tcp         LISTEN          0          128                                                  [::1]:631                               [::]:*                             users("cupsd",pid=811,fd=7))
    Last edited by ajgreeny; December 20th, 2023 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Code tags for clarity

Beans

What exactly is your question about that output?

Did you read it?