Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot failure, suspect harddisk problem, no KB or mouse

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Boot failure, suspect harddisk problem, no KB or mouse

I opened the case and played around with the power contacts and briefly got the PC to boot.
    So a bad power connector? On the female connector of motherboard has male terminals inside the socket and the female terminals of the male connector of the PSU... Sounds like either replacing the system board or the PSU. The PSU is female pins, so I would guess replacing the PSU. The system board has the male pins, so harder to go bad? The female terminals side is where the contacts would go bad. Sorry for your lose.

Backtrack, (FYI) the SGX message is a status message, not an error . Says that the SGX setting is not enabled in your BIOS. It can either be enabled and that message will go away, or disabled & ignore it by 1fallens suggestion. Either way, that does not affect a not booting condition. It only affects the display of that message. But that does not matter when you have bigger issues.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 4th, 2023 at 12:18 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by hans12345 View Post
    latest status report

this is clearly a power supply problem but probably not with the psu.

I opened the case and played around with the power contacts and briefly got the pc to boot.

But now it has failed again.

The situation now:
    - power on, kb and mouse good.
    - switch to uefi (bios)
    - the uefi is active, i can see the voltages and they are all correct.
    - kb and mouse work for about 4-5 secs, then nothing can be done
    - the fans keeps working

does the uefi start trying to power up the disks? Or does that happen only after you exit from the uefi?

I imagine that the problem must be with the contacts? Could it be something else?

Any ideas on how to proceed?
    bump !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    So a bad power connector? On the female connector of motherboard has male terminals inside the socket and the female terminals of the male connector of the PSU... Sounds like either replacing the system board or the PSU. The PSU is female pins, so I would guess replacing the PSU. The system board has the male pins, so harder to go bad? The female terminals side is where the contacts would go bad. Sorry for your lose.

Backtrack, (FYI) the SGX message is a status message, not an error . Says that the SGX setting is not enabled in your BIOS. It can either be enabled and that message will go away, or disabled & ignore it by 1fallens suggestion. Either way, that does not affect a not booting condition. It only affects the display of that message. But that does not matter when you have bigger issues.
    Thanks MAF - I just see your post now.

The PC has worked perfectly for 4 years. No obvious changes.
    I suspect a bad connector.
    The strange thing is this 4-5 secs period when it works in the BIOS, then all fails.
    I'll report again soon.

Beans
    Distro

Finally fixed if not completely understood.

After disconnecting the PSU from everything and restarting, it now works again.
    I suspect a bad connector - main one from the power supply to the main board.

Thanks to everyone for their posts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So, when I went to college for Information Technology, in one of the support courses, a complete cold power reset was:

• Turn off via the power button.
    • Turn off the power button for the PSU.
    • Unplug the graphics cable (so there was no chance of power coming from the Display)
    • Unplug the the power cable from the PSU
    • With the three prongs that the PSU connects to the power cable exposed, use a quater, and short between each of the contacts in pairs, to discharge the capacitors...
    • Connect everything together and turn everything back on. Retest.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12