Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: trying to install hardinfo

Beans

Re: trying to install hardinfo

To MAfoElffen! Can you walk me through how to do a Ubuntu 23.10 TPM backed FDE encryption on a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 i3 currently on Windows 11 Home. Pay attention to the Windows 11 Home detail. Is this possible to do, or would I fare better with choosing a FDE encryption with Veracrypt? And how do I then get the TPM keys manually signed? What I need is a step by step setup manual from you. You can also reach me at : stoltzc1976@hotmail.com

Beans

From what I can tell it all has to do with some of the files involved are updated and some are not and its confusing the entire works. This is one of the reasons I backed out for a bit. Its VERY strange. When that happens I just run away and wait. Somebody who knows what to do will arrive and save the day!! (I have faith)
    Memory: 16gb
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU
    Graphics: NVC1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sy41fox View Post
    To MAfoElffen! Can you walk me through how to do a Ubuntu 23.10 TPM backed FDE encryption on a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 i3 currently on Windows 11 Home. Pay attention to the Windows 11 Home detail. Is this possible to do, or would I fare better with choosing a FDE encryption with Veracrypt? And how do I then get the TPM keys manually signed? What I need is a step by step setup manual from you. You can also reach me at : stoltzc1976@hotmail.com
    @deadflowr -- Can you please split out the post from sy41fox into a new thread of it's own in the "Installations & Upgrades" Section, I'll help him there so we do not muddy up this one. Or if easier for you, tell him to start one of his own there himself?

@sy41fox -- Welcome to Ubuntu Forums. Look for that new thread to get moved out to there. I'll help you there. In the future, please note that it is not good "netiquete" to hi-jack a thread with things not related to that thread, and what the original Poster is asking for support on... But to rather start a new thread of your own, where you can get personal attention that relates to your own needs.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I just tried to install hardinfo again for the heck of it. Before I did that I did (again for the heck of it):
    sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade && sudo apt autoremove --purge -y && sudo apt clean

then the hardinfo install and IT WORKED! I now have hardinfo installed and I have absolutely no idea what it might have done to cause it to happen! One can only wonder but now, at least, my claim to installation is legal.

Thanks to everybody involved. One of you is responsible for my success, maybe even more. Mysteries abound.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes... It seems that the original install somehow got the older version of zlib1g-dev.

That could have been caused by doing the apt install, without first doing apt update to update the apt cache, thus ending up with the outdated packages instead of the current ones. But the related calls of that for the depends mixing the versions of those.

That would be my guess at what happened.

Glad everything is fixed for you now!

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Hi jgw,

We have rebooted hardinfo, that has not have any release for >10 years as community edition hardinfo2.

Please check the web page for github with build instructions and prebuild for most used distros.

https://hardinfo2.org

Interested in foss, please join the project, thanx.

/hwspeedy

Beans

Interesting........ I have hardinfo up and running on my computers with no problem. It will be interesting to update it. In my list of applications its listed as "system profiler and benchmark". I have been using system-info for a while now.

Thanks for letting me know!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

+inxi

I really like inxi, it has an easy to remember start name.
    Have not yet explored all of its options.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

I just thought I would add that if you google "how to install hardinfo in 22.04 there are a LOT of offers. I don't have it installed on this machine but I will check tonight and send the version.

Beans

here is the information on my hardinfo:
    hardinfo --version
    HardInfo version 0.6-alpha
    Copyright (C) 2003-2017 Leandro A. F. Pereira. See COPYING for details.

Compile-time options:
    Release version: Yes (ARCH_x86)
    BinReloc enabled: Yes
    Data prefix: /usr/share/hardinfo
    Library prefix: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/hardinfo
    Compiled for: linux-ARCH_x86
    Modules:
    File Name Name Version
    computer.so Computer 0.6-alpha
    devices.so Devices 0.6-alpha
    network.so Network 0.6-alpha
    benchmark.so Benchmarks 0.6-alpha