Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: libvirtd not running

Beans

libvirtd not running

i am running ubuntu as a wsl to use qemu but libvirtd is not running even though i have it installed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: libvirtd not running

Quote Originally Posted by boyobiscuits View Post
    i am running ubuntu as a wsl to use qemu but libvirtd is not running even though i have it installed
    Posted to the wrong forum. Belongs in the Virtualization sub-forum, not here.
    Looks like your inline image is a bad type. Nothing is displaying. In general, use text, not images, whenever possible in these forums. Please.

WSL is a different animal than normal virtualization on Linux systems. Does it support nested virtualization? What do you plan to use libvirtd for? Is it to access a remote hypervisor system, perhaps using virt-manager or virt-viewer OR did you expect to run a nested Linux hypervisor on the same system with WSL? https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/wsl2-...lization/11847 is a few years old, so things should be better.
    Why not just run a standard hypervisor, not WSL? I'm confused.

Beans

i am using wsl too use virt manager as qtemu wont work but i am using a kvm beccause i want to use my 3080 for virtual machines

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Moved to virtualisation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Which edition of Windows and which build are you running?

It does matter for what you "are" trying to do, because libvirtd and kvm are modules to the Linux kernel. WSL is using a Windows kernel extension to mimic the Linux kernel. So no. You cannot do nested virtualization with Windows WSL.

BUT...

If you are running Windows Professional Edition, it does virtualization nesting, where you could install Ubuntu Desktop or Server Edition and install KVM to that guest VM, to do whatever you want. (That is why I asked.)

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

i use windows 11 home is there another way?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i use windows 11 home is there another way?
    There are a few

a) Spend money to get a hypervisor running on MS-Windows that supports GPU passthru. That money could be for a Pro license or VMware Workstation. https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VM...U/td-p/2847355 says Workstation doesn't support true GPU passthru, so looks like you'd need to go the MSFT route, if the fake 3D accel isn't sufficient. Virtualbox doesn't have passthru either. Looks like MS-Hyper-V would be the best choice if you don't want to change the OS running directly on the hardware https://www.tenforums.com/virtualiza...-guest-vm.html Of course, you'll need 2 GPUs to accomplish this.

b) Wipe MS-Windows from the hardware, install nearly any Linux, install KVM/QEMU, then you won't need GPU passthru, since Linux will have direct access to the GPU, then load whatever free MS-Windows you have into a VM running under KVM/libvirt. Use virt-manager to manage it. I think proxmox can do passthru easier, but IDK.
    https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pc...ration.130218/

Passing through a GPU doesn't work for low-end GPUs. There is a minimal level of GPU that works. Since I've never owned a $200 GPU, I know nothing about it. The idea that a GPU costs more than the CPU just bothers me. I won't pay that.

Beans

im thinking of dual booting windows and ubuntu would that work without having to reset my pc?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

im thinking of dual booting windows and ubuntu would that work without having to reset my pc?
    No. You have to reset to change which OS is running.

The file systems aren't compatible on the OS level, so you'd need to make 40GB or more free space in a few partitions to install Bloated Ubuntu releases. NTFS cannot be used for Linux.

Dual boot has a history of breaking booting for one or the other OS. Usually it is Linux that gets shafted, since MSFT assumes they are the only OS on the physical hardware. Expect to have boot issues about once a year. I don't think they are hard to resolve, but that will depend on your expertise with Linux and MSFT booting. Again, there are many different options for dual booting.

I found dual booting too much hassle and stopped doing it around 2008. Virtual machines have held my main desktop since then. Being hardware agnostic for my desktop brings lots of excellent flexibility, but I'm not a gamer or video content creator. When I need to cut videos, I use Linux tools and have for about 3 yrs. It was one of the last 3 things that kept me with an MS-Windows system on real hardware. I still have a 2010 laptop with MS-Win7 loaded, but it hasn't been booted in about 2 yrs. I haven't needed it. I have a Win7 virtual machine for running some financial software. It gets booted about 15 minutes every week ... to track finances and run some stock calculations. It hasn't been patched since MSFT changed their EULA during the Win10 beta. I read it and just couldn't agree to what they changed. It has no need to be on any network.

Beans

i think i will just get windows 11 pro as i play valorant and cant switch main os

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast