Thread: Fedora Linux 38 Workstation Edition: No Desktop??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Fedora Linux 38 Workstation Edition: No Desktop??

Hello All,

For those who Fedora is your primary OS, pardon my ignorance if that be the case!

I have been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake. I tried the above distro in a virtual machine. To my shock, there is no desktop--no taskbar, nothing, only settings and shutdown.
    Clicking "Activities" zooms out, reveals a taskbar and my virtual desktops. To function, to do work, I can open a program in each virtual desktop.

But that is positively bizarre to me and a deal-breaker for this highly regarded distro. I have no functional desktop. The only thing I can do is toggle apps. Without a traditional desktop, I feel
    I have no "home" and it's very anxiety producing, not at all a comfortable computing experience.

Is this the way this distro works? Any way to get a traditional desktop with Fedora?

Thank you!
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

ASUS PRIME Z690-A; 12th Gen Intel i3-12100 4100 MHz; RAM DDR5 4800 MHz; NVME Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Fedora Linux 38 Workstation Edition: No Desktop??

Have you seen this: https://www.makeuseof.com/desktop-environments-fedora/
    Pick and choose your preferred DE.
    Last edited by 1fallen; April 24th, 2023 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling again
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_Alan View Post
    Any way to get a traditional desktop with Fedora?
    Fedora Workstation default DE is Gnome. Other DE's are available with Fedora Spins.

You can even load a Fedora base and use something like Window Maker to create your own desktop
    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS | Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD
    Fedora 38 | Lenovo Edge 15 | i5 1.7Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 4400 | 6GB RAM | 1TB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Between your MUO link and Fedora Spins (per another member), this solves my problem! Thank you! I really like the "spin" MATE-Compiz.
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.

ASUS PRIME Z690-A; 12th Gen Intel i3-12100 4100 MHz; RAM DDR5 4800 MHz; NVME Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks! Problem solved! Between the other member's susggestion (MUO link) and Spins, this gives lots of options. I really like the MATE-Compiz spin.
    Aller Anfang ist schwer.