Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 23.04 Beta Can NOT be Installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Ubuntu 23.04 Beta Can NOT be Installed

Hi everyone,

1. I downloaded the Desktop Image - 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop image.
    2. The size of the Desktop Image is 4.8 GB.
    3. I checked SHA256SUMS - all good.
    4. I used [Make Startup Disk] which is installed by default on my Ubuntu to create the LiveUSB.
    5. My Testing machine is HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF. Core i5 vPro with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.
    6. As always, I selected [Try Ubuntu]. The look and feel is quite amazing.
    7. The machine I'm using to test is an old Desktop.
    8. Because I want to keep Windows for games, I need to Dual-boot. That is why I ran GParted.
    9. I had to delete one of the (4) partitions so I got rid of the [HP Tool] Drive.
    10. I already cleared more than 70GB from the entire Disk (SSD) before I start the test. All what I needed to do is to resize and shrink.
    11. I created an Extended Partition. Inside, I created (2) Partitions for Ubuntu 23.04 Beta. One is the main (/) and the other is SWAP. YES, this is my approach. I always use GParted to prepare the Disk before I start the installation whether I'm testing or not.
    12. I really like how the Installer looks like. Really beautiful. Well done!
    13. Without being connected to the Internet, I started the installation.
    14. All went well until I reached to [Keyboard Layout] screen. I thought to change the language to test but I got an error message: [System program problem detected - do you want to report the problem now?]. Because I wasn't connected to the Internet, I didn't report.
    15. As always, I selected Manual Installation. Remember, I need to Dual-Boot and I don't want any surprises, given it is the Beta version and not yet final.
    16. When I selected the Partitions and was trying to go to the next step, I got the exact error message [System program problem detected] and I couldn't move forward. I had to stop.
    17. The USB I used to test and install Ubuntu 23.04 Beta is in a good shape. I doubled check the SHA256SUMS. I'm not yet sure what the real problem is.
    18. While this attempt has [Failed], I will try again. If the same issue occur, I will report the bug.
    19. The MOST important step in OS testing is the Installation Step. What an OS without being installed on a machine?

Update 1:
    I tried again on a different machine - the exact same problem.

Update 2:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/subiquity/+bug/2015028

Thoughts?

Thank you.
    Last edited by amjjawad; April 3rd, 2023 at 04:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 23.04 Beta Can NOT be Installed

It most definately can be installed. I have installed it a dozen times in the last week. It isn't friendly right now with dual boot and it is finicky about the efi/esp partition. You may need to wait until the release or beyond to get what you are attempting.

Beans
    Distro

I have installed Beta on 3 different PC (NO windows present) without problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It can be installed ONLY if you don't change the Keyboard Layout.
    In my case, when I changed the Keyboard Layout, I was unable to install.

Beans

i installed the beta release and i had to do it twice.The first time the progress was running for 30 mins then i just switched off the pc and reboot,grub menu was empty so i reboot again and reinstalled from usb,it then worked but so many error and crashes.Even the text editor crashes and freezes forcing a shutdown on the editor.I understand beta is beta.i dual booted with win 10 in case i got a full failed system.Just create a live usb again. is it gpt format the system

Beans
    Distro

I don't know if you have a junk pile or not but this would be a good time to practice/test with a substitute blanked out drive.

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    It can be installed ONLY if you don't change the Keyboard Layout.
    In my case, when I changed the Keyboard Layout, I was unable to install.
    I confirm the above statement. Actually I changed keyboard layout and faced the same issue. Didn't try the default.

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Claus7 View Post
    Hello,

I confirm the above statement. Actually I changed keyboard layout and faced the same issue. Didn't try the default.

Regards!
    Thank you. Could you please login to Launchpad and confirm that you are affected as well?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Thank you. Could you please login to Launchpad and confirm that you are affected as well?

Thank you!
    I cannot connect to the link provided. Also searching with "2015028" didn't bring any result.

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Claus7 View Post
    Hello,

I cannot connect to the link provided. Also searching with "2015028" didn't bring any result.

Regards!
    Hi and thank you for your reply.

I don't know why that report is Private. I have no idea how to change it to Public so others can confirm. I will try to do some search.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast