Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue light filter

Beans

Blue light filter

hello, I was hoping to find a good stable blue light/hue filter for my machine monitor? i checked the forums and the app store. If anyone is have good results with a certain program, please advise. thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Blue light filter

I started using redshift in 2015 when I discovered it, and I've been using it ever since (I was pleased to discover it existed in trusty/14.04's repositories so I installed it on a 14.04 machine too).

Sure my GNOME desktop comes with Night Light but that only works on GNOME, and I use multiple desktops and want to the same setup for all; thus I disabled Night Light and still use redshift using that same config file I setup back in 2015.

It works really well, is highly configurable, and works the same if I login to a Lubuntu, Xubuntu, or Ubuntu Desktop session on this machine (my box is a multi-desktop install), having the ~same control on the panel on my desktops. I also use it on other machines where I'm using other desktops too.
    Last edited by guiverc; March 4th, 2023 at 12:42 AM.

Beans

+1 to redshift.

Beans

Thank you, was not sure but loving my new Pro Ubuntu account. Thank you

Beans

Thank you, just do not want to clutter up my new install. I will try Redshift. (Just moved from POP OS to Ubuntu)

Beans

I'm usually a cheap bastard however when it comes to protecting my eyes I'm willing to spend the cash and get some good blue light glasses.

I checked on the web and there's a lot of choices for blue light glasses and blue light monitor screens and prices range from $10.00 up to $100.00 or more so before making any commitment I decided to go to a local eye glasses store and see what they had to offer.

Don't expect your insurance to pay for blue light glasses because most of them will not or leastwise mine won't so anyway I found a great pair of blue light glasses which I really like and the tech was able to adjust them to fit almost perfect.

The frames seem to be almost indestructible and they fit well and are not irritating after wearing for long periods of time.

Okay total cost was a bit under $100.00 which to protect my eyes from blue light is money well spent.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Thank you. I have a friend who uses similar eyeglasses. Thank you for the information, this is good stuff.!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I used to use redshift and will also attest to its effectiveness.

But just a (mild) word of caution: if you are running vanilla Ubuntu and only vanilla Ubuntu, then there is no need to add a fifth wheel—you will already have nightlight in your settings. Just turn it on and let it do its job. It's best to keep your install as close to default as possible. This forestalls a lot of pain and anguish on your next release upgrade.

If you are running another flavour, then you will likely need it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

+1 for redshift.
    However, another minor warning; if the machine will always be in the same time-zone don't bother with setting up the geoclue2 automatic location detection but use the manual method by adding latitude and longitude figures to your active redshift.conf file as it seems much more reliable.

Beans

Krikey, checks calendar, yes it is 2023.

What kind of screen do you use that emits harmful blue light?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast