Thread: Two keys for newly installed full disk encryption?

Beans

Two keys for newly installed full disk encryption?

Hello!

I just installed Kubuntu 21.10, and chose the encrypted LVM option during installation. It now asks me for the passphrase on boot, as expected.

However, I see something that scares me: cryptsetup luksDump reports TWO keys for the encrypted partition. I guess one of them is the passphrase I supplied, but what is the other one?

(I removed the salt from the output I pasted below. Not sure if that was necessary or not, I am not well versed on this.)

Code:
    Ke*****s:
      0: luks2
            Key:        512 bits
            Priority:   normal
            Cipher:     aes-xts-plain64
            Cipher key: 512 bits
            PBKDF:      argon2i
            Time cost:  4
            Memory:     923333
            Threads:    1
            Salt:
            AF stripes: 4000
            AF hash:    sha256
            Area offset:32768 [bytes]
            Area length:258048 [bytes]
            Digest ID:  0
      1: luks2
            Key:        512 bits
            Priority:   normal
            Cipher:     aes-xts-plain64
            Cipher key: 512 bits
            PBKDF:      argon2i
            Time cost:  4
            Memory:     1015869
            Threads:    1
            Salt:
            AF stripes: 4000
            AF hash:    sha256
            Area offset:290816 [bytes]
            Area length:258048 [bytes]
            Digest ID:  0
    Last edited by efjen; March 21st, 2022 at 04:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Two keys for newly installed full disk encryption?

There are 8 slots (0-7) for decryption keys. This is just for the header. The actual encrypted data was/is encrypted using keys that are unknown to us users.

Use the cryptsetup tool to get all the information available about the encryption container. The manpage is quite excellent too, so rather than me searching there for an answer (I haven't looked), could you?
    Use either man or xman to see the cryptsetup manpage. It will provide all the available information that anyone here would know.

Beans

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I came across the two keys to begin with, was because I was looking into how to change the passphrase using cryptsetup. I have now done the following test:

1) cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda4 to add another passphrase. The device now has three key slots in use.
    2) Check if the machine can be booted using the new passphrase that I just added. It can.

Since this test is working, it implies to me that I am looking at the right device (/dev/sda4), and that each key slot on /dev/sda4 corresponds to a passphrase which is able to decrypt the disk. I understand that there are further "real keys" down the line, but what it looks like to me, is that the Kubuntu installer sets up two passphrases able to open the system: one which I supplied during installation, and another mystery passphrase which I'm wondering what is.

I think this is a question of what the installer does with cryptsetup, rather than how cryptsetup itself works. I would like to understand if the second initial key really is another passphrase that can decrypt my system. Of course I could try to delete both the keys after setting up a new one, and that would leave me with just one. However, I am concerned that I am then stepping on the installer's toes somehow, causing problems. I am also just wondering out of interest why there are two initial keys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The second key you asked about in the original post is the randomly generated recovery key - this was originally introduced in 21.04 - https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/hirsu...se-notes/19221 - and then improved in 21.10 to allow it to be specified by the user and to make sure the randomly generated one is stronger - see https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/impis...se-notes/21951

Beans

Ah thanks, that explains it! I struggled with googling it until now; I didn't think to use the word recovery. I don't think the installer offered me any information or a choice in this, but I am happy now that I understand what it is.