Thread: AppImage broken after upgrade to 21.10

Beans

AppImage broken after upgrade to 21.10

Just upgraded from 20.04 to 21.10 and I notice that AppImage doesn't work properly. FreeCAD doesn't work but BalenaEtcher does. I can see the splash screen so it looks like FreeCAD is starting up but nothing happens after that.
    AppImage issue or Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AppImage broken after upgrade to 21.10

If 1 appimage program doesn't work, that's very different than 50 appimage programs not working. It is likely the developer of the package has assumed some underlying libraries exist which have been updated. Their appimage package either needs to include those libraries too or migrate to the newer libraries provided by 21.10.

I think 21.10 Ubuntu changed from Gnome3 to Gnome4 and likely switched from GTK+ 3.x to GTK+ 4.x libraries. That's a major difference. In the short term, you might look into manually loading the GTK+ 3.x libraries - assuming those are the symbols being reported as unavailable. Best to run the appimage from a shell to see all the output - not by clicking in any menu.

This is not an Ubuntu issue. Contact the appimage package team for each program that doesn't work.

Beans

I have a 50/50 mix of working and not working:
    Working: Balena Etcher & Super Slicer
    Not Working: FreeCAD & Idea Maker
    Both of the "not working" programs do the same thing - show the splash screen and then nothing. I tried a couple of different versions of FreeCAD and both still behave exactly the same. It may be a library thing but I don't know where to even start troubleshooting this.
    Has anyone else experienced this or am I on my own here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Open a terminal and run the AppImage directly.

What errors are shown?

Send those errors to the team that made the appimage along with your current ubuntu release and kernel.

Wait. Hope. Pray.

Beans

Just delete their configuration files and run again. If you "upgrade" chances are you got left over configurations that no longer works. Some Appimages might assume certain system lib versions so they won't work. Download a newer version and try again in that case.

Beans

Ran FreeCAD from terminal and got the following:

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi: /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
    libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
    libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi: /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
    libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
    libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)
    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
    /tmp/.mount_FreeCAdmCavf/AppRun: line 41: 7974 Aborted (core dumped) ${MAIN} "$@"
    Ran IdeaMaker from terminal and got the following:

ideamaker.real: error while loading shared libraries: liblber-2.4.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    To be honest this is way over my head. Looks like some kinda issue with my GPU and / or libraries.

Beans

Are you on Wayland?

Also see this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtop...tyle=5&t=62932

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymmm View Post
    Ran FreeCAD from terminal and got the following:

To be honest this is way over my head. Looks like some kinda issue with my GPU and / or libraries.
    It is missing dependencies. If you don't have an ATI Radeo GPU, then it is worse since something had determined, incorrectly, that you should have DRM libraries for Radeon.

It looks exactly like my first post suggested. Send the errors to the appimage project and wait, hope, .... they will actually take action. That's the "correct" answer. You could search out where those exact libraries are supposed to be provided (the package) and attempt to install them. Pay attention to the revision for the libs. You'll want to be close. If your system already has a library that is close, you might be able to create a symlink with the name the appimage seeks to the version your system has.