Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clock For Unity Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Clock For Unity Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by michael_diemer View Post
    Well it's in Synaptic, but latest version is Ubuntu2. I'm going to check into "fdclock," which is also listed in Synaptic. I had checked out Cairo clock, but could not find any download links as it's so old, so I didn't think it was worth pursuing.
    There are still themes being developed for cairo clock as of this year. I don't know what Linux versions it is used on.

https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/208/order/latest/
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I would like to put a nice analog clock on the dock or launcher (the thing on the left, not the top) of the Unity desktop. I am running 16.04 and can't upgrade to 18 due to graphical issues. I tried Up-Clock, it installed easily and locked to the dock fine, but I can't for the life of me find anywhere the instructions for actually setting it. Just articles saying it's a nice-looking clock. Does anyone know of one I can add (and actually set)?
    If you're looking for an active clock in the unity launcher you can stop now, doesn't exist, never will.
    Plank has an active analog clock docklet, works fine though plank doesn't integrate completely with unity desktop, i.e icons on the desktop can overlap it..

O)9(yo&# is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    If you're looking for an active clock in the unity launcher you can stop now, doesn't exist, never will.
    Plank has an active analog clock docklet, works fine though plank doesn't integrate completely with unity desktop, i.e icons on the desktop can overlap it..
    Thanks, I may look into Plank, maybe there's a way I can make it work well enough to be practical.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    There are still themes being developed for cairo clock as of this year. I don't know what Linux versions it is used on.

https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/208/order/latest/
    Thanks, I'll explore these options.

Beans

The latest release 20.04 also lacks a dock clock

Beans

Thanks, I may look into Plank, maybe there's a way I can make it work well enough to be practical.
    It can be set up to be pretty useful, I think it's best on bottom though can go anywhere (noting you can hide default unity launcher but you can't get rid of it.
    See screen, a quick set up, notice I added the home scope..
    (- while plank supports desktop actions the right click on 'real' home scope isn't as it's not a desktop.. those right clicks could be added as actions to the plank version of the home scope..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It can be set up to be pretty useful, I think it's best on bottom though can go anywhere (noting you can hide default unity launcher but you can't get rid of it.
    See screen, a quick set up, notice I added the home scope..
    (- while plank supports desktop actions the right click on 'real' home scope isn't as it's not a desktop.. those right clicks could be added as actions to the plank version of the home scope..
    That looks great! I'm going to give it a go. thanks and Happy Holidays!

Beans

That looks great! I'm going to give it a go. thanks and Happy Holidays!
    In case not apparent,
    plank doesn't autorun so after install open Dash, search startup, open startup applications and add plank , like in screen will suffice. Then after a log out/in or reboot plank will be running.

To add applet and any options run this command in a terminal or from alt+F2
    Code:
    plank --preferences
    If keeping and desiring a Dash icon , ask, pretty simple to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks again, mc4man. I have plank up and running. I am having trouble getting the Cairo clock installed, however. I have dowlnloaded the timex and Rauland versions. I also got AppImage Launcher and Pling Store, and tried to get OCR-URL, but I couldn't download that one. I can't figure out how to get the clock installed. I have never used AppImage or the other two things before, so I'm at a loss at this point. I really appreciate the help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

After some unsuccessful attempts to add Cairo clocks, I went with Mc4Man's suggestion of just adding the clock provided by Plank. Kind of small, but it does the job, I can see at a glance what time it is, instead of straining my eyes to find and read the panel clock!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12