Thread: Howto handle unresponsive lock screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Howto handle unresponsive lock screen

From time to time I'm confronted with an unresponsive lock screen, making it impossible to unlock my system after it went to sleep. The problem comes in two different flavours: Sometimes I can type my password and confirm with Enter and than nothing happens. Other times I can't even get to the password prompt because the lock screen won't respond to any key presses. Since I can't find any pattern it is probably hard to debug, so I'm more interested on your input on how to recover from such a situation. As far as I can tell it is indeed only the password promt that is having problems. I can use my mouse, I can even click the "suspend"-button in the top right corner and it works as expected.

All my other processes seem to still be running as well - I can change to another console and see the CPU load of my open programs - so I'd like to find a way to get back into my system without having to restart and losing all my unsaved data. So, do you have any tips on how to handle such a situation? (Of cause if this is a known problem with a working solution so this doesn't happen again at all, i take it as well )

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 with the newest updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Howto handle unresponsive lock screen

Sleep issues are always fun. Have you tried restarting GDM from another TTY session? I'd also look at hardware drivers, they are usually the culprit for sleep issues.
    Skip Barker