Thread: Window Management inside Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Beans

Window Management inside Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Good day everyone,

***I do apologize in advance if I am posting this on the wrong section.***

So I would like to know if there is a way to run a window manager inside of the Desktop Environment Cinnamon,
    I'm looking to configure it similar to how Pop OS is set up inside Gnome Desktop Environment.

So if anyone knows if this is possible, please help me out, or point me in the direction where I can do this if possible.

Thank you again

Wolfzrat

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Window Management inside Cinnamon Desktop Environment

I'm not sure that I understand your question. The Window Manager is foundational to the Desktop Environment. Therefore, properly speaking, it runs "outside" of the DE; not "inside".

If you want to change Cinnamon's WM to another, this is possible in theory, though I've never tried it and don't know to what extent you would have to customize and fiddle to get them to play nicely with each other.

If you want to run a Window Manager within a Virtual Machine within a Cinnamon‑based OS, then this is conceptually simple to do. See the link in my sig: The Best 'buntu Flavour

Although that sticky deals with the various DEs available to 'buntu users, it does clarify the relationship that WMs have to DEs, and lays out a pathway to running different DEs inside a VM.

Ultimately, though, I'm stumped by the multiple ways of which your question is to be interpreted.

Beans

I'm sorry if i was not clear, first, thank you for replying i really appreciate it.

Now I happen to answer my own question here, lol, so what i was looking for was an extension called Pop Shell,
    which unfortunately only runs on Gnome and not on Cinnamon because it is not well Gnome. So this only works on
    Gnome DE (Desktop Environment).

Thank you again and I guess this one was solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by wolfzrat View Post
    …not well Gnome…
    Wonderful word play. I've got to remember that one.

Glad you solved it, or at least, know that what you were looking for is inapplicable.

I guess your desire was not a window manager so much as an alternate desktop shell. I am not very familiar with Pop OS but it does naturally lead to the question: if you want the Pop experience, then why the detour to Cinnamon and not just go straight to Pop OS?

Beans

Thank you , The reason why I don't fully commit to Pop OS is because I can't get comfortable with Gnome. I downloaded Ubuntu 20.10 and installed Cinnamon because I like the feel of the Cinnamon desktop environment. Perhaps I can consider giving Gnome another a chance later. But it would be nice to have that tiling shell extension on top of Cinnamon. But I want to thank you for assisting me and for a good chat