Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apt Update Indicator

Beans

Apt Update Indicator

A quick question about the extension Apt Update Indicator.

I recently installed it and want to know what the following mean:

New in repository
    Residual config files

What should I do about them?

Screenshot from 2020-09-23 11-28-39.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Apt Update Indicator

Residual config files are those from packages that you have probably removed but not purged, thus leaving configurations still in the system.
    There is no necessity to remove them, and they may be useful if you decide to reinstall the package.

New in repository means just what it says; the packages are new but if in the normal repos can still be trusted. I have never seen the extension you mention by that name; what version of Ubuntu are you using?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Residual config files are those from packages that you have probably removed but not purged, thus leaving configurations still in the system.
    There is no necessity to remove them, and they may be useful if you decide to reinstall the package.

New in repository means just what it says; the packages are new but if in the normal repos can still be trusted. I have never seen the extension you mention by that name; what version of Ubuntu are you using?
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's Ubuntu 20.04.

Beans

If you run:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -P `dpkg -l | grep ^rc | awk {'print $2'}`
    This will remove residual config file for packages you uninstalled.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    If you run:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -P `dpkg -l | grep ^rc | awk {'print $2'}`
    This will remove residual config file for packages you uninstalled.
    Thanks for this. Appreciate it.

Beans

Did it clear the residual config message bit?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Did it clear the residual config message bit?
    Yes it did. Just the 'New in repository' message left. Not sure how to address that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I run this line for rc clearings
    Code:
    dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt purge -y
    Note that rc is funny as it does not actually mean residual config, but it actually refers to two status states.
    1) r (or the first letter) refers desired state of a package, in this case the desired state is for the package to be removed from the system.
    2) c (or the second letter) refers the actual states meaning the actual state is it still has configuration files installed.
    But referring to rc as meaning residual configs fits it all too well, imo.
    Just the 'New in repository' message left. Not sure how to address that.
    Not sure either, but probably refers to either new versions of packages that have been added to a repository or packages which have new updates.
    Most packages just get updates and not new packages with new version names. There are exceptions of course, like kernels.
    Kernels actually get new versions with new names for each new kernel, ie, linux-image-5.4.0-48 is a different package than linux-image-5.4.0-47.
    Last edited by deadflowr; September 23rd, 2020 at 06:54 PM. Reason: trying to correct my wording
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is a Gnome shell extension

https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...ate-indicator/

Apparently it not only informs the user if there are updates available but also if a new package (application/program) has been added to the repositories. Just as we can have Editor's Picks and Featured Applications it seems we can also have What's New.

I cannot wait for the Software Centre to inform me that I have new Facebook notifications and to nag me about having a Covid 19 test. Sometimes, clever is just too clever that it stops being nice.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I run this line for rc clearings
    Code:
    dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt purge -y
    Note that rc is funny as it does not actually mean residual config, but it actually refers to two status states.
    1) r (or the first letter) refers desired state of a package, in this case the desired state is for the package to be removed from the system.
    2) c (or the second letter) refers the actual states meaning the actual state is it still has configuration files installed.
    But referring to rc as meaning residual configs fits it all too well, imo.

Not sure either, but probably refers to either new versions of packages that have been added to a repository or packages which have new updates.
    Most packages just get updates and not new versions. There are exceptions of course, like kernels.
    Kernels actually get new versions for each new kernel, ie, linux-image-5.4.0-48 is a different package than linux-image-5.4.0-47.
    Appreciate the informative response! I clicked on the 'New in repository' message. It led to the following package: 'oem-somerville-caterpie-meta'

Here's the screenshot:

AUI2.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast