Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broken Groovy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

broken Groovy

Hello,

Seems the latest libffi* package update has broken some package upgrade (python3.8 for example). Groovy can't be fixed by itself: the boot process is ok, get the grub menu, but then the login screen fails to load/open. Even trying to boot from recovery mode fails: can't get the recovery menu.

So i'm trying now to get new updates from a focal chroot: an other problem appear, get 'fail to fetch ubuntu archive'. Looks like i need some nameserver address, but this old school solution is outdated now with systemd (no more /etc/resolv.conf) .

How to bypass this issue ? If someone knows the solution, please share it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: broken Groovy

Not sure what that's use for. Says libffi is a foreign function interface library. I'm not compiling anything. I'm not infected.
    Latest update shows:
    Code:
    libffi-checklib-perl/groovy,groovy 0.27-1 all
    libffi-dev/groovy 3.3-4 amd64
    libffi-dev/groovy 3.3-4 i386
    libffi-platypus-perl/groovy 1.31-1 amd64
    libffi7/groovy,now 3.3-4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    libffi7/groovy 3.3-4 i386
    libffindex0-dev/groovy 0.9.9.9-3 amd64
    libffindex0/groovy 0.9.9.9-3 amd64

Beans
    Distro

I had the same problem this past weekend. Endless loop at login prompt. I got a /root out of space warning. I use a separate /home partition on my systems so I consolidated /swap, /boot, and /root into one single /root partition and formatted with WK4. This removal of the /Swap changes my system to a swapfile instead of swap partition. Reinstalled and everything is working just fine. I think in the future I will double my /root to about 50Gig. Since the advent of terabyte hard drives this is no big deal. Don't know if this helps you but I am and always have been preset to reinstall in 15 minutes or less.
    Last edited by zebra2; August 26th, 2020 at 05:04 AM.

Beans

Most likely nothing to do with libffi source package upgrades, everything to do with blindly using the -proposed repo.
    How to fix?, do a fresh install, use -proposed package specific or not at all.

(- if one was to enable -proposed today & do a full updare/upgrade te system will not be usable upon rebooting..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the answers

but i'm looking to get a working chroot on a systemd install

Beans
    Distro

If one is using a Development Ubuntu STOP I think the forum should rename this section to "Unstable". If one is using an Unstable release of Linux their curiosity should allow them to run the release in any unstable fashion they choose. There used to be users in this section that intentionally tried to crash their install. It was called "testing" or something like that. Proposed enabled or proposed not enabled is a matter of risk tolerance. Back in the old days the grandparents would say "You made your bed, sleep in it". I say "Life is good, live it! Just be ready to reinstall.
    PS I'm ready.

Beans
    Distro

Now I remember why my Groovy crashed. It was the 2nd reboot after I installed the 5.8 Mainline kernel. Backing up to the default kernel after that didn't help. I also could not get to root or even a safemode login. Just reinstalled and got on with my life. If it happens again I will investigate further. I have a lot of computers so it was no big deal at the time.

PS the error reported by the system was "root out of space".

Beans
    Distro

Yep, its proposed verified. If you have it up and running don't update with proposed enabled.

Beans
    Distro

Have reinstalled, this time without formatting root to save time. I run legacy not efi and it gives me a "probably not boot" at the end of the install but it boots anyway. Running updates now without proposed enabled. May be tomorrow before I report. Have to go to work in a bit.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, fully updated with proposed disabled. Running Gnome/Wayland session with no problems.
    So, proposed strikes again. Been awhile, we deserve it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast