Thread: The point of Facebook online account in Ubuntu?

Beans

The point of Facebook online account in Ubuntu?

Hi there

My understanding is that gnome photos used to show your facebook photos if you connected via online accounts. My understanding is that Shotwell does not.

Just given Gnome photos a try and that doesn't seem to pull your FB photos in either now.

Unless somebody can tell me otherwise, it's pointless linking your online account to FB or microsoft

Any additional info appreciated

Thx

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: The point of Facebook online account in Ubuntu?

In this world it's an illusion to think we have privacy, and certainly not in the google universe. Facebook or MS are also bad so the only question is: what is my advantage of sharing data with other players. If you find a reason, then do it. And if not...

Beans

Just trying to understand if any functionality exists....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Convenience. Nothing more. People want everything integrated these days, privacy be damned. An integrated world is nice, is why Apple is as successful as they are. For all the things one can say positive or negative, they do have the integration of their devices and everything else down to a science.

Beans

There's nothing convenient about a feature that doesn't appear to do anything !

Beans

No sure how much help it is, but this article provides a breif list of the Online Accounts and what functionality is offered in Ubuntu.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubunt...cation.html.en

I think you're right in that the Facebook integration should show your online photos, but if it isn't working for you there is either a problem with the functionality (i.e. software bug), or something else.

When I added Facebook to the account get the options for Photos and Maps (see screenshot).
    But also I noticed that youre right in that you dont see anything in Gnome or Maps that indicates Facebook usage ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Cheers mate. Shame it's broken