Thread: URGENT: Ubuntu won't start

Beans

URGENT: Ubuntu won't start

I use Ubuntu 14.04 and this morning, it just wouldn't start up. I see this message and then the startup screen comes on but it never takes me to the login stage. IMG_20200218_111127.jpgIMG_20200218_111127.jpg

I have a dual boot system with Windows 8 and I'm using a Dell Inspiron with a Radeon graphics card + inbuilt Intel graphics card.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: URGENT: Ubuntu won't start

You do realize Ubuntu 14.04 LTS reached EOL last year (http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2019/05/02/...esm-available/)

If you're using Ubuntu 14.04 ESM, it is supported by Canonical through Ubuntu Advantage.

In your case, I'd boot a 'live' media (such as Ubuntu install thumb-drives) and check out your hardware (SMART etc), `fsck` (file system check) your disks and explore for issues... I'd also then just backup your data & either upgrade to a supported release of Ubuntu (ie. 16.04 LTS) or re-install a modern release.

You didn't say if you were running desktop, server - as server install media that old usually used 'debian-installer' thus didn't have a 'live' mode (modern media does where using `subiquity`) so I'd just use a 'desktop installer if your handy media is old & debian-installer based.