Thread: is encryption of the home directory is something that the team is working on?

Beans

is encryption of the home directory is something that the team is working on?

at the moment it is complicated to encrypt the home directory.

thank you very much!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: is encryption of the home directory is something that the team is working on?

They removed it because of security issues with the 2 most popular implementations. Those both leaked metadata about the file sizes.
    The approved solution is it perform whole disk encryption for the partition with LUKS. That is an install option, last time I checked. My 16.04 laptop uses it.

Regardless of which encryption method is used, excellent backups are mandatory. When an encrypted partition/file gets corrupted for any reason, the only solution is to restore from a backup.

Beans

Re: is encryption of the home directory is something that the team is working on?

hi thank you!
    do you say that in the ubuntu installation of 16.04 there is an option for whole disk encryption?
    at what stage of the installation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjjjg8885 View Post
    hi thank you!
    do you say that in the ubuntu installation of 16.04 there is an option for whole disk encryption?
    at what stage of the installation
    Yes, it is definitely an option. I've been running multiple 16.04 installs with whole disk encryption. I've never installed the default Ubuntu Gnome3 ISO. I typically use either Ubuntu Server or Ubuntu-Mate. The selection happens when you pick how to setup the storage. I don't remember all the options, but there are 2 with LVM.
    a) LVM
    b) Whole drive encryption with LVM

something like that. There are a few other choices on the page. It will not be offered in a dual boot situation. The installer needs to wipe the entire disk.

Beans

thank you very much!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe the following link will help you recognize how to select LVM with LUKS encryption. It describes how to do it with Ubuntu 19.10, and it is very similar in all current versions of Ubuntu and Ubuntu family flavours (Kubuntu, Lubuntu ... Xubuntu).

Install Ubuntu 19.10 with encrypted swap/home partitions, specifying manually the swap partition

Probably you need not add extra swap to what is configured automatically (but the original poster at AskUbuntu asked for it).
    Last edited by sudodus; December 25th, 2019 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    (...) When an encrypted partition/file gets corrupted for any reason, the only solution is to restore from a backup.
    Many thanks!!! I suspect that for a long time but the online information and discussions about it are scarce and typically dead-ends. Having at last an expert confirming it makes all the difference.

Beans

hi
    thank you
    what about version 20.04?
    is it the same?

i don't have much important data on my computer and i also like it be eencrypted still.

Beans

It is best to always encrypt the 'whole disk'. It isn't really the whole disk, since /boot is in plain text, but it makes it very difficult/impossible to subvert if there is almost no plain text space on the disk. However, you must have good backups, since data that is not backed up, is ephemeral and doesn't really exist.

I had a laptop stolen a couple decades ago, and learned the value of encryption the hard way...

Beans

i see
    thanks
    one of my computers is dual boot with windows 10
    does that means tthat in this particular computer i need another aproach than the whole disk encryption?

is there a video tutoriall that you reccomned that explain the whole disk encryption proccess?