Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions on buying a Linux laptop

Beans

Questions on buying a Linux laptop

Say for example I go into a Dell Store and find a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu.

1) is the version of Ubuntu preinstalled the latest version? Or do they use LTS versions?

2) what if I don't want Ubuntu and want Lubuntu instead? What usually happens? Can I offer to bring them a LiveUSB of Lubuntu to install on my purchased laptop? Or does Dell offer different Ubuntu flavors already?

3) and if I install Lubuntu, will there be any issues? Like drivers and such?
    Last edited by ardouronerous; July 4th, 2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: added another question

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Questions on buying a Linux laptop

Quote Originally Posted by ardouronerous View Post
    Say for example I go into a Dell Store and find a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu.

1) is the version of Ubuntu preinstalled the latest version? Or do they use LTS versions?
    usually LTS. i believe sometimes their version are slightly modified for hardware compatibility.

2) what if I don't want Ubuntu and want Lubuntu instead? What usually happens? Can I offer to bring them a LiveUSB of Lubuntu to install on my purchased laptop? Or does Dell offer different Ubuntu flavors already?
    you have two options either install the lubuntu-desktop package from software center or (this is IMO a better option) simply install just the LXDE (not sure what the exact package name is).

3) and if I install Lubuntu, will there be any issues? Like drivers and such?
    nope. Lubuntu is JUTS Ubuntu with LXDE desktop and some selected programs. ofcourse it is then also tested to make sure all stuff works well. you can try it in virtual machine.

drivers in Linux are part of kernel or patches to kernel (firmware). they have nothing to do with desktop environment.
    e.g. server image will have same drivers as desktop image etc.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thanks for the reply.
    All the computers that I've ever owned and used Lubuntu on are all hand-me-downs from relatives and I have 0 experience in purchasing a Linux laptop.

So, if I decide to buy a Ubuntu laptop from Dell and install Lubuntu 18.04 on it, there's a risk that there's hardware capability issues?

Also, I forget to ask, if I install Lubuntu, does that void warranty?

Beans
    Hidden!

An alternative that will often

- give you more computer for the money (compared to a brand new computer)

- provide good compatibility between the linux drivers and the hardware components

is to buy a refurbished enterprise class computer, a second hand computer from a well known company, that is offering at least 6 months guarantee (enough for you to make sure that it is working in a stable way after the bumps during the delivery).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dell has online chat. Ask the questions there?

Only seen LTS releases on their systems. Looked last week and they were still using 16.04; hadn't moved to 18.04 yet. I think that is smart. Personally, I only use LTS releases.

Wouldn't expect them to install Lubuntu, but you never know. Probably depends on the specific employees at the location and whether company policy prohibits that effort. If you take Lubuntu into an Apple store, would they help you install it onto a Mac?

I've had a few Dell laptops over the years. Usually drivers just work, unless the underlying motherboard or networking chips are really, really, new.
    I've had good luck with Dells. Never had one pre-installed with Linux, but have put Linux onto 3 of them. At the time, the video drivers were the hardest part, but that was 8+ yrs ago. With onboard Intel GPUs, the drivers are all automatic. I've seen the XPS 13 running different Linuxen a few times, so doubt there's be huge issues with that specific line.

If you walk into a Dell store with Lubuntu on a flash drive, they should let you boot it and "Try Lubuntu" to test out that everything important you want is working. Make a checklist - video, audio, wired NIC, wifi, video-playback, ... make sure everything works the way you want. I'd check the USB3/USB-c ports handle booting too. My current non-Dell laptop won't boot from USB3 ports. If anything doesn't work well, run a full lshw and inxi -Fx to capture the system information to a file and do some research on those chips back home. It might be really easy to get it working.

And if wifi is important to you, buy the $20 upgraded wifi card they sell. I didn't on my last laptop and it is stuck at 150 Mbps connections as the top speed, though I only connect at about 70 Mbps no matter what I do. My fault for going cheap.

Beans
    Hidden!

So, if I decide to buy a Ubuntu laptop from Dell and install Lubuntu 18.04 on it, there's a risk that there's hardware capability issues?
    Make a cloned copy of the installed system in the delivered state and test that copy can restore from it to another drive, (or simply remove that drive and let it be backup) and install Lubuntu (into another drive). It will probably work, and if not, you know how to get back to a working system.
    Also, I forget to ask, if I install Lubuntu, does that void warranty?
    You must ask that question to the vendor (and maybe you need a written answer to be sure).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    e.g. server image will have same drivers as desktop image etc.
    That has not been my experience. The server installer includes all the drivers, but on first reboot, I've found it commonly didn't include the network drivers I needed for wifi or USB-GigE adapters. Which makes installing those a huge pain, since there isn't any network working. Sure, the same drivers can be used, but "server" doesn't install the same drivers as desktop. IME.

Beans

Thanks for the info.
    So basically, it's a better idea to purchase a second hand 64-bit computer than a new because there a greater chance the hardware drivers are already included in the kernel.

Another question, say I do buy a Dell laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu LTS, LTS is supported for 5 years, but what happens if I upgrade to the next LTS?
    Based on what I've Googled, Dell says you are basically on your own at that point, so basically, my question is what are your experiences in upgrading a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the info.
    So basically, it's a better idea to purchase a second hand 64-bit computer than a new because there a greater chance the hardware drivers are already included in the kernel.
    According to my experience, yes.
    Another question, say I do buy a Dell laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu LTS, LTS is supported for 5 years, but what happens if I upgrade to the next LTS?
    Based on what I've Googled, Dell says you are basically on your own at that point, so basically, my question is what are your experiences in upgrading a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu?
    We have a Dell Latitude E7240 with a 4th generation Intel 4th generation i5 CPU (and Intel built-in graphics and wifi). Ubuntu works well without any tweaks.

We have a Dell Precision M4800 with Intel i7 4th generation CPU (and nvidia graphics and Broadcom wifi), where the free linux nouveau graphics driver works well, and I need a proprieatary driver for the wifi chip). Ubuntu works well with the tweak for Broadcom.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you buy a Dell laptop that is preinstalled with Ubuntu, you don't need to worry about drivers as long as you are running a sufficiently modern kernel (a kernel released after the laptop).

Back in the day, Dell would ship drivers with their machines, and they also provided a PPA. They now work with upstream to ensure that all the necessary drivers are available in the kernel. This is great because it means that the machines will work with any Linux distro, not just Ubuntu. The latest Dell precision laptops are certified for RHEL even though they ship with Ubuntu preinstalled.

Because of this, you should have no issues upgrading a Dell machine that ships with 16.04 to 18.04.

I have used Dell Ubuntu laptops for a few years now (currently running a Precision m3800) and have had a great experience all round. I particularly enjoy their onsite support. It's like a breath of fresh air to work with a large manufacturer that really gets Linux!
    Last edited by treb0r; July 5th, 2018 at 03:34 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast