Thread: Google wants you not to google

Beans

Google wants you not to google

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09...gle_as_a_verb/
    And yes, what we said in the headline is correct. Google's style gurus have ridden out in a crusade against verbing the corporate noun: “Don't use as a verb or gerund. Instead, use 'search with Google'” (we consider it admirable that Mountain View expects “gerund” to get by without a developer Googling it – sorry, “searching it with Google”).
    Gerund? LMGTFY.
    Last edited by vasa1; September 13th, 2017 at 09:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thumbs down Re: Google wants you not to google

Geez...

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Google wants you not to google

D'oh! wasted my time learning Newspeak.

This is doubleplusgood.

Beans
    Hidden!

Billions of blue blistering barnacles!

Yes, the word "gerund" did spark a flash of recollection that it had been mentioned when I was school, but it was buried so deeply in the recesses of my memory that digging up its meaning was fraught with many hazards......
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Lol. That wording is confusing. So they're saying they don't want you to use "Google" as a verb, right? Good luck with that.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

The reason is probably legal. A company can lose the trademark on their name if it becomes a common word instead of a name. At least that's the way it used to be. Supposedly Kodak almost lost their name because it became synonymous with "camera". Same with Xerox and Kleenex. It's not their fault.

Beans

I will have to do some Hoovering and Luxing of my memory so I won't be doing any googling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Don't use 'Google' as a verb? I love that and thank goodness. I can not STAND people saying 'I'll just google it.' That actually means nothing. You are going to do a web search! I don't even use Google as my search engine and never have!

What the heck is the matter with 'I'll do an online search' or 'I'll check on the computer'? I don't think 'I'll google it' has EVER been used in this house by either myself or my wife. Google search engine never been used by either of us. Tried to avoid all things google for a long time.

So, trash the 'I'll just google it!'. Yuck. A pet hate of mine and makes no sense. You use Google search engine to search for something, you don't 'Google it!'.

If you go for a drive you don't 'car it' or 'Toyota it'. You might 'cab it' perhaps if you have no car, but otherwise, you drive.

Morning rant over.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 19th, 2017 at 02:33 AM.