Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antergos

Beans

Antergos

I have two computers running Ubuntu 16.04lts, one computer running Suse Leaf 42.2. The news from Ubuntu has got me looking into other distros. At this time

I would not leave the two 16.04 computers but might experiment with Antergos on the Suse Leaf computer. The thing is to get where I am with Suse required

extra effort, it is not as easy to install and customize as Ubuntu . Suse install is where I want it and having no problems. If anyone has experience with Suse and

Antergos how would you compare the two? I have changed my DE from Unity to Plasma on the Ubuntu computer and am getting used to it, I am not a big fan of

Gnome. The Suse Plasma is a little different than the Ubuntu plasma, but not by much. If I did install Antergos I would use the Plasma DE.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Antergos

You cannot compare the two. Antergos is bleading edge rolling release (Arch), openSUSE Leap (not leaf) is a 3 year LTS release similar to Ubuntu but they update programs more often then Ubuntu. Leap is trying to achieve the goal of being as stable as Debian/CentOS and more up to date then Ubuntu. You could compare Antergos to openSUSE Tumbleweed which is also rolling release, but goes through more testing then Arch/Antergos.

Keep in Mind that Canonical has many people and companies using the base stack and DE's so Ubuntu is not going to just ditch the desktop. Now they could go the way of RedHat and Fedora and only offer the 6 month or 12 month release and then charge for LTS version, but even in that scenario someone could come along and just for the LTS version like CentOS did. So again its not going away any time soon. Even if it did there would still be Debian, which offers 2-3 year release cycles and an extended release (from stable to old stable) up to 5 years.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

https://www.opensuse.org/#Leap
    https://www.opensuse.org/#Tumbleweed

Beans

Thanks for taking the time to inform me and correcting this old man's spelling. The reason I have Leap 42.2 instead of Tumbleweed is I could not get Tumbleweed to install

after many attempts I installed Leap. Good stuff here and it is never to late to learn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

what is the reason for installing different versions? testing different OS? because if it's just the look it can usually be changed on Ubuntu installs as well. for example you can load OpenSUSE plasma theme on ubuntu. it will then look like opensuse, but it would still be Ubuntu (so no YaST or zypper etc.).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I just like to experiment. When you are 77 years of age keeping the brain active is important. I do have Plasma installed on the Ubuntu 16.04lts, as well as budgie, cinnamon, gnome, etc.. I am beginning to use Plasma more and more as the preferred DE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

keeping the brain active is important at any age. just at 77 you have more time for hobbies again.

arch adn other bleeding edge need time to maintain. read first then update etc. but i guess if the PC is not the main (production) one and if one has time then the bleeding edge distros deserve at least an install and a look.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

As it turns out here is what happened yesterday. I booted up the Suse Leap 42.2 which I have had no problems with. It to grub rescue. I tried again and again. Then I tried booting from the

suse install dvd, that did not work either. Soooooooooo.. I put in the Antergos live dvd, it was immediately recognized and I went from there to complete install. So now by chance I am using

Antgergos and so far not a fly in the ointment. Installing apps so fast and easy. I am very pleased to say the least. I used the KDE version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    keeping the brain active is important at any age. just at 77 you have more time for hobbies again. . . .
    Good point, but I like to think that some hobbies use one's brain more than others, and that among the brain-using hobbies is running Linux. That works for me at age 87.

Beans

You made me laugh and laughter is the best medicine. Thanks

Beans
    Distro

With openSUSE 42.2, as with Ubuntu 16.04, I update the system whenever I get around to it, without much concern.

Antergos, I basically run it like I run Arch -- I bring in updates at least once a week, and I always check the Arch home page for announcements before updating. I always use pacman for updating, from the command line; I don't really use the Pamac GUI for updating Antergos. I lean on the great Arch wiki a lot, too.

I feel that, running Antergos, it really helps to have done one or more Arch installations, to have a better understanding of how things work. But then you might find that you prefer your Arch installation over your Antergos installation, because you put Arch together yourself and installed only the packages that you wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast