Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: End of Ubuntu Phone and Unity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: End of Ubuntu Phone and Unity

There has certainly been a move of focus away from Unity. That is not the same as a move away from the desktop.

Finding someone else who makes a hasty deduction is not confirmation. It's confirmation bias.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

So SABDFL is coming back as CEO:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rth-CEO-Return

I think that's the best news of late.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Finding someone else who makes a hasty deduction is not confirmation. It's confirmation bias.
    It's irrelevant whether the deduction is hasty. Calling it that is simply your own bias. What the comment confirms is that I'm not the only one making the deduction. A better response, on your part, would be to explain why, given the strong undercurrent of fiscal probity underying Shuttleworth's decision, you think Canonical would allocate resources on a desktop environment that only loosely, if at all, relates to their income producing business. Nobody, anywhere, is making that argument, not even Shuttleworth.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    It's irrelevant whether the deduction is hasty. Calling it that is simply your own bias. What the comment confirms is that I'm not the only one making the deduction. A better response, on your part, would be to explain why, given the strong undercurrent of fiscal probity underying Shuttleworth's decision, you think Canonical would allocate resources on a desktop environment that only loosely, if at all, relates to their income producing business. Nobody, anywhere, is making that argument, not even Shuttleworth.
    And I call fear-mongering!

I have a faith that Mark will not give up on Ubuntu. I have always believed that he cares deeply about Ubuntu and still does. He as owner of Canonical, appears to have had to make, some no doubt painful financial decisions.

Now, to respond to your 'solicitation' for 'A better response ...'

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/...d-convergence/

I’d like toemphasise our ongoing passion for, investment in, and commitment to,the Ubuntu desktop that millions rely on. We will continue to producethe most usable open source desktop in the world, to maintain theexisting LTS releases, to work with our commercial partners todistribute that desktop, to support our corporate customers who relyon it, and to delight the millions of IoT and cloud developers whoinnovate on top of it”.

Have a good day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

System76 Isn’t Giving Up On Ubuntu
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/s...ubuntu-desktop

But the well-regarded company is not feeling defeatist. Having built a hugely successful business bringing Ubuntu to the masses the company sees no reason to renege on the distro now.

In fact, it’s about to kick things up a gear.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Your last couple of sentences demonstrate argumentum ex silentio, the logical fallacy of the Argument From Silence.

There is nothing in any of this that supports any assumption that Canonical plans to abandon the desktop. That does not follow from any of this news. that is a hasty deduction that has no basis in the facts presented. You have found someone who shares your point of view and call that finding "confirmation". Unfortunately, that person has no better basis for his or her position than you. That is classic confirmation bias -- a very easy trap to fall into when the internet monkeys will feed you whatever you would like to be fed.

It may very well be that Ubuntu on the desktop will disappear. However, you have no basis on which to state that. Your conclusion is, for now, FUD. Nothing more, nothing less.

I need to do nothing to explain anything. I have made no assertion to defend with regard to Canonical's intent.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yup as long as you completely ignore everything Shuttleworth has written, then yup you are totally 100% right.

I should point out that since Ubuntu was started, thirteen years ago, Shuttleworth has tried many different projects. Some like Edge, Unity 8 and UbuntuOne have not succeeded, but in all that time Shuttleworth has never lied to the community of users in any statement.

As I quoted before, Mark Shuttleworth said in the original announcement on 5 April:

I’d like to emphasise our ongoing passion for, investment in, and commitment to, the Ubuntu desktop that millions rely on. We will continue to produce the most usable open source desktop in the world, to maintain the existing LTS releases, to work with our commercial partners to distribute that desktop, to support our corporate customers who rely on it, and to delight the millions of IoT and cloud developers who innovate on top of it.
    What you are doing is accusing him of lying about continuing the desktop. Given his history with the community, yours is a pretty extraordinary claim and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. So where is your evidence?
    Last edited by Ahunt; April 11th, 2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: grammar

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Ahunt View Post
    I agree, some KDE applications are quite good. I am running Kdenlive on LXDE for video editing and it works very well.

Shuttleworth addressed KDE
    :
    he did. i read the comments. but check out the comments on the previously linked phoronix site (the forum comments). apparently there are two sides to this story an di do remember he didn't care much for wayland with KDE people were trying to implement.

i guess what is done is done, tough i still do not understand the insistence on Gnome. in the past gnome used ot hide just enough settings to make it very comfortable for novice users to use. but this all changed with Gnome3. it was also fun to read Linus comments on Gnome3 as he struggled to find thing and we all knwo how colourful and passionate he could get.

anyway at the moment to novice Linux users comming from Windows with powerfull enough PC i would recomend Cinnamon or KDE, for those in need of lighter deskotp i say use Mate or XFCE. I would never recommend Gnome. i find it that if they use the aforementioned interfaces the transuition is easy. proabably this was also the case with Unity deskotp which too is an improvement over Gnome3.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    ... i still do not understand the insistence on Gnome...

It is an assumption on my part, but I suspect that the return to the GNOME desktop is just due to the fact that, underneath the Unity interface (and that is all Unity is, it is not a complete desktop environment) that Ubuntu has always used GNOME. All the applications and everything are GNOME and always have been since the start of Ubuntu.

The community manager at the time Unity was started in 2010, Jono Bacon, explained this quite well:

I want to make something crystal clear: Ubuntu is a GNOME distribution, we ship the GNOME stack, we will continue to ship GNOME apps, and we optimize Ubuntu for GNOME. The only difference is that Unity is a different shell for GNOME, but we continue to support the latest GNOME Shell development work in the Ubuntu archives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I remember when Unity came out, it was a complete change in the way I did things. So many were complaining about it and jumped ship and going with Mint or one of the other desktops but I stayed with it. Didn't know if I liked it or not, but felt if this is the way it's going to be I will just get used to it. And that is what I did.
    I have Unity on both my laptops and on my sound system. My server has no desktop installed.
    With that said, I am going to be sad to see it go, but it is what it is. As soon as I heard the news I installed Gnome on one of my laptops and will install it on the other. Might as well get used to it if that the way it will be.
    I was sure Unity was going to be around forever, but I was wrong. There goes our love/hate relationship.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast