Thread: Netbook, i368 or AMD64?

Beans

Question Netbook, i368 or AMD64?

In about a week and a half, I'm going on an extended vacation, and need a (physically) lightweight piece of hardware that can do two basic things:

• browse the internet comfortably on wifi
    • connect to Skype/Viber/some other VoiP program reliably

So, I figured I'd dust of my old netbooks, and see if I can get one of them to do just that. They're Asus X101H EEE PC's, sporting an Intel Atom N570 1.66 Ghz CPU (which is 64-bit capable), and 1 Gb of RAM.

I've tried running Lubuntu from a Live "disk", or rather Live SD-card, and it's running like a charm, without any driver conflicts. The only thing I have found difficult to decide on is which version of the distro to install. With the Live "disks", I observed no noticeable performance difference between i368 and AMD64. The CPU is 64-bit capable, but the RAM is rather on the low side, and non of the applications I plan on running demand either infrastructure per se. It all comes down to overall performance. Hence I was wondering whether anyone on this forum might have some advice to share on this.

Thanking you in advance,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Netbook, i368 or AMD64?

Normally I would say go for a 64 bit OS if you have 64 bit capable hardware but in this case, with only 1GB ram, I am tempted to suggest you stay with the 32 bit OS as a 32 bit system will use slightly lower ram levels for any specific action than a 64 bit system.

The difference is very small, however, so there is no great problem if running a 64 bit system either. For any hardware with 2GB ram or more I would certainly choose 64 bit.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by polyprobatos View Post
    They're Asus X101H EEE PC's, sporting an Intel Atom N570 1.66 Ghz CPU (which is 64-bit capable), and 1 Gb of RAM.
    I have a netbook with those specs running Ubuntu 14.04 i386 and it performs well for Internet surfing though a bit slow booting. It sure is easier to carry around than a larger laptop and not so much loss if someone steals it. I haven't tried Skype, might depend a little on if you can find a reasonably fast connection in the locations you visit. I haven't yet tried to upgrade it to a 16.04 version. Your thought of using Lubuntu is probably a good idea because of its lower use of resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Normally I would say go for a 64 bit OS if you have 64 bit capable hardware but in this case, with only 1GB ram, I am tempted to suggest you stay with the 32 bit OS as a 32 bit system will use slightly lower ram levels for any specific action than a 64 bit system.

The difference is very small, however, so there is no great problem if running a 64 bit system either. For any hardware with 2GB ram or more I would certainly choose 64 bit.
    Hmmm,.. the real question then ofcourse is whether video-call programs like Viber etc. are more RAM heavy or CPU heavy.

If the difference is small regardless though, I might just go with 64-bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

No idea about viber, I'm afraid so I can't really comment on that.

However, I suspect you will be somewhat disappointed if you try to run anything that has high CPU or RAM needs on that machine.

Beans
    Hidden!

If yours is similar to mine, on the bottom is a port where you could upgrade your RAM to 2GB. I plan to do that to mine before I try the upgrade to 16.04.

Shouldn't be that expensive at this point in time and then I suspect that you would have sufficient RAM for your "traveling system" if shortage is what you find now.

Beans

Ok, lol, apparently Viber is 64-bit ONLY on Linux. That just made the decision for me.