Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cant run cron job as www-data

Re: Cant run cron job as www-data

I opened astarmathsandphysics.log an emptied the contents then saved it without starting rsyslog.
    Then I ran
    sudo /usr/bin/google-sitemapgen --config=/usr/share/doc/google-sitemapgen/examples/astarmathsandphysics.xml

and log file was empty when the command finished executing. Probably the script does not write to the file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by astarmathsandphysics View Post
    I could but I thought it would be bad practiice to have a file owned by root accessible via the internet.
    Not really. All Google does is download the file. Also the file won't be executable.

If you're really paranoid about this, run the script as root and include
    Code:
    chown www-data:www-data /path/to/the/file
    chmod 444 /path/to/the/file
    at the end of the script.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 22nd, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

I will execute as root and have written another cron job to change owbership of all files in /var/www to www-data:www-data once a week.
    Once is not enough because the script generates more files periodically and these are owned by root.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I will execute as root and have written another cron job to change owbership of all files in /var/www to www-data:www-data once a week.
    Once is not enough because the script generates more files periodically and these are owned by root.
    So you have the script running successfully as a cron job now?

Beans

I was speaking more about writing a "wrapper" script that invokes the Google map generator and then changes the ownership. Something like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    MAP=/path/to/the/map.xml

chown root:root $MAP
    chmod 600 $MAP

/usr/bin/google-sitemapgen --config=/usr/share/doc/google-sitemapgen/examples/astarmathsandphysics.xml

chown www-data:www-data $MAP
    chmod 444 $MAP
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

I will try that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123