Thread: How to monitor rsync and logins

Beans

How to monitor rsync and logins

I noticed last night that rsync was running on it's own. And, it was running for quite a while.

Is there a utility or command to view rsync activity?

I do have a copy of dropbox on my PC. I know there weren't any new files or directories created to warrant 2 hours of file transfers.

Last, is there a utility to monitor and prevent remote logins?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to monitor rsync and logins

It sounds like you're looking for a "progress meter" or the like which would say you've moved 53% of the files or give the number of bytes transferred and remaining. Rsync doesn't support this function as far as I know.

If you use "-v" you'll get a list of files as they are sent that you can track with "tail -f /var/log/rsync" or wherever you direct the output. The "--stats" parameter provides summary statistics but not a progress measure.

Credit to SeijiSensei
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; June 18th, 2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Removed some bad advice

Beans

You can also look at the network packets with tcpdump, or at the process and network activity with htop and ntop.

Otherwise, if you want to be hacked, run VNC and if you don't want to be hacked, run sshd...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    if you want to be hacked, run VNC and if you don't want to be hacked, run sshd...
    Thanks for pointing me to this..I was not aware it was such a bad security hole. But i have only used it locally.
    But now I am.
    Regards
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; June 18th, 2016 at 07:37 PM.