Thread: How to save the file in desktop in Laptop using Ubuntu 12.04 OS

Beans

How to save the file in desktop in Laptop using Ubuntu 12.04 OS

Hi

I tried very hard to save the file in desktop. But it has not happened. Kindly fix the issue.
    In Ubuntu OS things are not user friendly.
    Where as in Windows it is user friendly.

Kindly help to solve this issue.

Regards
    Ramakrishnan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to save the file in desktop in Laptop using Ubuntu 12.04 OS

Hi and welcome.

Your description of the alleged issue isn't helpful. Please describe exactly what happens when you try to save the file to the desktop folder using the file manager and why do you think you need to do that? BTW, that's mostly like your Windows mentality still making the rounds.
    Your comments are equally unhelpful. Conflating "familiarity" with "user friendliness" is a huge mistake which, again, stems directly from the same mentality.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

Hi
    Last week, I have saved some pic images in desktop the very next day I tried to make use of it. But I cannot see the any pic in desktop.
    In Windows, once saved the data we can retrieve it very easily, that is the reason I mentioned it was user friendly.
    Can You guide me how to save the any data like doc, pic in Ubuntu

Regards
    Ramakrishnan

Beans
    Distro

Why didn't you save photos in the specific folder for that purpose? You don't have to but it makes sense for better organization, doesn't it?
    Saving files - not shortcuts to folders/files - in the desktop is one of the stupidest things one can do in any OS, especially Windows. The Desktop is a special folder that the system must read and present each boot. It should be easy to understand it slows down the boot process.

Learn to use the file manager, a nice graphical app similar to Windows's File Explorer. Like Windows, Ubuntu has a default set of user folders nicely arranged as Documents, Music, Video, etc. Use them so you can have your files organized in the most efficient way. At the same time you should make an effort to stop thinking as you were in Windows. You aren't, Ubuntu is neither Windows nor a free clone, not even close. It's different, more stable and safer. Learn to enjoy it (or not...)

EDIT
    The file manager in Ubuntu is called Files or Nautilus. At the left "dock", the launcher, you can open it by clicking the file cabinet icon. And you can search any other installed software simply clicking the first icon in said launcher.
    Last edited by Vladlenin5000; February 11th, 2016 at 06:41 AM.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Moved to New to Ubuntu
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    The Desktop is a special folder that the system must read and present each boot. It should be easy to understand it slows down the boot process.
    not just on boot but everytime you minimise or close a window. which slows down the whole computer when you work, if you have files on desktop.

if pictures were saved ot deksotp thery are likely still there. system will not remove them. in fact in Linux nothing is done without user's approval I believe.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome. Just a shot in the dark: Do you actually have Ubuntu installed on the hard drive of any machine, specifically the one you saved files to the desktop of???

If you are running a live session from install media it doesn't matter where you save files. They will be gone on reboot. You don't have an installed system to save them to until you install Ubuntu to a hard drive or specifically create a persistence install to USB.

And as mentioned, the habit of saving files to the desktop is not a good one. If you have pictures, save them to the Pictures folder.

Ubuntu is very familiar to me, Windows is not. You are confusing familiar with user-friendly. You loaded an operating system you know nothing about, tried to do something, it didn't work, and that makes Ubuntu not user-friendly?

Just a final not to avoid any future confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by G_RAMAKRISHNAN
    Kindly fix the issue.
    We are all volunteers here, including forum staff. None of us are paid employees of Canonical and Canonical staff rarely, if ever, drop by.

If you want something about the Ubuntu OS itself fixed this is not the place to ask. We give users technical support with their issues when using Ubuntu.

You would be better to contact Canonical directly if you want something about the Ubuntu OS itself changed and you'd want to be a lot clearer and give more information than you have given in your first post or it is going to be hard for anyone to work out what it is you want fixed.

If you're seriously interested in getting into Linux it is going to take a mind-shift and a learning curve. Ubuntu is not a drop-in replacement for Windows and if you treat it that way and get disappointed when its not, the experience will be a dismal failure. Perhaps read this old chestnut.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 11th, 2016 at 03:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I do not have any problem saving documents and pictures to the desktop. It is not something I do as a practice. But I have just tried it as a test. What application is the document or picture open in? That is the key to doing this. Whatever the application use the File menu>Save As option.

I am given a dialog and in the left panel there is a list of locations

Home
    Desktop
    Documents
    Downloads
    Music
    Pictures
    Videos

I select Desktop and I click Save and surprise, surprise the image or document is saved to the Desktop. Having tested how easy it is to do this in Ubuntu I have now got to move 2 files to the rubbish bin as I prefer a clean background wallpaper.

Right click the file to select it and pull down a menu and then select Move to Rubbish bin. And they are gone. Easy.

This "problem" was fixed a long, long time ago.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Even easier, drag a 'marquee' around the two files on the desktop with your mouse, let go of the button, click on one of the files and hold the button down and drag them to the Trash. Voila.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can You guide me how to save the any data like doc, pic in Ubuntu
    Your system has this builtin, but here's the on-line version of the Ubuntu help page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-help/index.html
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful