Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Fedora Core Talk

Beans

Lightbulb ***Fedora Core Tech Talk***

I have decided to start a series of threads specifically for technical help for other Distros...the Distro is listed in the thread title. This is primarily for Ubuntu users who test or use other distros and feel most comfortable seeking help in our own community. In no way does this superceed the help you should also be getting from the perspective Distro., in fact I encourage you to be as active in their forums as you are here and post ideas, knowledge and solutions here to provide a reference point to share, reference links are encouraged.

***Fedora Tech Talk***

organizing a bit I have merged these threads:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=36756
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=231262
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=135944
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=147516
    Last edited by RAV TUX; August 8th, 2006 at 02:37 AM.

Beans

Re: ***Fedora Tech Talk***

Quote Originally Posted by yozef View Post
    I have decided to start a series of threads specifically for technical help for other Distros...the Distro is listed in the thread title. This is primarily for Ubuntu users who test or use other distros and feel most comfortable seeking help in our own community. In no way does this superceed the help you should also be getting from the perspective Distro., in fact I encourage you to be as active in their forums as you are here and post ideas, knowledge and solutions here to provide a reference point to share, reference links are encouraged.

***Fedora Tech Talk***
    Should be gentoo talk, or slackware talk....or BSD-from-Floppy talk, lol FC is cool...::

Beans

Arrow Re: ***Fedora Tech Talk***

Quote Originally Posted by cantormath View Post
    Should be gentoo talk, or slackware talk....or BSD-from-Floppy talk, lol FC is cool...::
    actaully Gentoo was the first one of the series and PC-BSD has been started too....keep in mind we can add to the list as needed....just PM me with ideas.

Beans

Re: ***Fedora Tech Talk***

ah man, sorry, I clicked on new post and saw the rest of them, duh to me.

Beans

Arrow Re: ***Fedora Tech Talk***

Quote Originally Posted by cantormath View Post
    ah man, sorry, I clicked on new post and saw the rest of them, duh to me.
    Thats cool just glad to see that this is getting responses so early....remember try to utilize these threads for Tech Talk about the perspective Distro...

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ***Fedora Core Tech Talk***

Well, dammit all... I installed FC5 on my laptop. I did NOT have half so good a time as when I installed it on my desktop. It installed fine, yes, but it appears to have played hob with my partition tables. Ubuntu stopped booting, and Fedora, well, Fedora wouldn't even boot. So, first try, I screwed something up. Nothing new . I went ahead and hosed all my other operating systems and put FC5 on a single partition. And that's when I began the process of learning that (to put a spin on the old "Ubuntu ain't Windows" thing)... FC5 ain't Ubuntu! For some reason unbeknownst to me, after I opened gconf-editor and checked off "always use browser view" in the nautilus settings, because I hate spatial view, and "always use location bar", because I prefer it... gconf-editor locked up. Hard. A manual killall did the trick... but it was not confidence-inspiring. After that, nautilus began to act rather strangely. Icons in Icon View obeyed their own rules when it came to organising themselves. I was baffled... and then gnome-settings-demon sort of disappeared. Things did not get better, but suffice it to say that when I went to repartition the disc on my laptop so I could reinstall Ubuntu, the partitioner freaked out. It eventually began to work, but, damn, it even screwed up my hard disc for a time. I wonder what it was I did wrong... ah, well. I'm re-downloading the discs (I tossed out the others by accident yesterday) and I'm going to give it another go! I just hope that, this time around, it works out better . I'm going to be more careful on the install this time around, and if it still throws a wobbler, I'll just wait for FC6, because that will have been the third install of FC5 (out of 4!) that has failed on me. I'm willing to blame my failure on the computer gnomes. They must have possessed my computer or something .

More to come!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Fedora Core Talk

after I opened gconf-editor and checked off "always use browser view" in the nautilus settings, because I hate spatial view, and "always use location bar", because I prefer it
    not necessary. just fire up nautilus, select Edit in the menu, then select the 2nd tab. see screnshot below
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    not necessary. just fire up nautilus, select Edit in the menu, then select the 2nd tab. see screnshot below
    *sighs*

Someone smack me in the head, please. Seriously.

Somehow that configurator option escaped my notice. Well, it's a little late to see if that would have prevented a hard lockup on my previous setup, but I'll keep it in mind.

Oh, and thanks .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Iandefor View Post
    *sighs*

Someone smack me in the head, please. Seriously.

Somehow that configurator option escaped my notice. Well, it's a little late to see if that would have prevented a hard lockup on my previous setup, but I'll keep it in mind.

Oh, and thanks .
    i can't see any reason why using nautilus rather than gconf-editor would have made much difference in causing the lockup. but just in case it does, let me know how you get on

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    i can't see any reason why using nautilus rather than gconf-editor would have made much difference in causing the lockup. but just in case it does, let me know how you get on
    The lockup was in gconf, so if it ain't running, odds are low it'll lock up . But, you never know.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617