Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No audio in DELL XPS 13

Beans

No audio in DELL XPS 13

Today I installed Ubuntu 15.04 (desktop edition, 64 bit) on a DELL XPS 13 (model 9343) notebook. Prior to installation, I upgraded the computer bios to A03. The kernel I am running is 3.19.0-15. I have no audio/sound. Here is some info:

cribari@darwin4:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
    card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]

Suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Beans

Re: No audio in DELL XPS 13

More info...

cribari@darwin4:~$ lspci -nn | grep -i audio
    00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller [8086:160c] (rev 09)
    00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High DefinitionAudio Controller [8086:9ca0] (rev 03)
    cribari@darwin4:~$

Beans

More info please: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo
    Are you trying to use the HDMI audio or not?

Beans

I found the solution in http://bartongeorge.net/2015/04/09/4...ion-available/ . The solution: "If dual booting with Windows 8.1 and kernel 4.0 or earlier you will need to cold boot twice into the OS for audio to work."

Beans

I just wanted to add that I had the same problem (xps13 9343, dual boot Ubuntu 15.04 / win8.1, bios A03, kernel 3.19.0-15, no sound in either speakers or headphones), and booting twice didn't seem to fix it. In the end it turned out that in Sound Settings, Sound Effects tab, "Alert Volume" was muted (this is not something I did, it must have been set like that from the start). Once I increased the alert volume, everything went to normal.

Beans

Hi everyone with the new XPS 13,

I am looking to buy the laptop and looking to install Ubuntu. Would you guys kindly share about the experience? Does Ubuntu 15.04 run well on it? What problems have you encountered during the installation?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There's a Developer's edition that comes pre-installed with Ubuntu, is here a reason not to buy that? Is it that a dual boot is wanted.
    http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd
    facts invariably distort the truth
    eeePc 900 Trusty Tahr

Beans

I'm having some sound issues with the 9343, Win 10 and Ubuntu 16.04. I read about the cold booting twice but that's not helping. Here is what is happening. At first in windows I had the red X through the sound and there were no devices, I install the realtek driver. Once I reboot the sound is working and the realtek device is listed in my sound devices but the default device is set to the Intel sound, not the realtek sound device. If I select the realtek device, everything works for the time being. If I shutdown and boot into ubuntu and then back into windows the realtek device is still selected as the default when it first boots then switches to the intel one as the default by itself (I watched it, the realtek was default then it switched to the intel one in front of my eyes). If I shutdown windows, then restart into windows again(no matter how many times) the realtek device is gone completely from the list of devices and the intel one is selected again. I have to boot back into ubuntu, then back into windows for the realtek device to show up again and then reset it as the default. It's very annoying

Beans

Unhappy Re: No audio in DELL XPS 13

i have the same problem.
    anybody?? HELP

Beans

Do you have a Dell XPS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast