Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons that Ubuntu and Linux Mint stand out

Beans

Reasons that Ubuntu and Linux Mint stand out

Ease to use, huge repo, consistent updates, stability, hugh user bases, are amongst reasons that Linux Mint and Ubuntu and its derivatives are tops on Linux distro.
    I witnessed the death of Dreamlinux; it is a little sad, but this distro doesn't have stand-out qualities to speak of. (OK, I occasionally use the Dream Linux icons, but hyrdoxygen remains my favourite by far.)
    Can anyone tell me how many distros have declared their official death?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Reasons that Ubuntu and Linux Mint stand out

I can't answer that question but it should be noted that Mint is also a derivative of Ubuntu, it is not it's own distro. LMDE is straight from debian testing though. But then to be fair again Ubuntu is a derivative of debian so....
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; September 1st, 2014 at 05:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Linux Mint is its own distro.

Just as Ubuntu is its own distro.

Debian is upstream of Ubuntu and Ubuntu is upstream of Linux Mint, but all three are separate distros.

How many have died? Likely hundreds.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

...although Mint's sources.list uses Ubuntu repos, while Ubuntu's list does not use Debian's, although (almost all) the packages are brought over from Debian and rebuilt. All nicely symbiotic.

One important thing about distros like these, as well as Fedora and Opensuse and some others, is that they are supported/sponsored by real organizations and corporations, rather than by one or a few enthusiasts. Enthusiasms wane.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot
    although Mint's sources.list uses Ubuntu repos, while Ubuntu's list does not use Debian's, although (almost all) the packages are brought over from Debian and rebuilt. All nicely symbiotic.

One important thing about distros like these, as well as Fedora and Opensuse and some others, is that they are supported/sponsored by real organizations and corporations, rather than by one or a few enthusiasts. Enthusiasms wane.
    Ubuntu (including the various desktop environments), Linux Mint (multiple desktop environments as well), Fedora (Oh, well, java gets really tricky on Fedora, so I quitted long ago) and Opensuse happen to be the biggest distros. The little distros may live and die any time.
    Ubuntu is quite mature by now; Linux Mint is somewhat green; I haven't tried Fedora and Opensuse for years! IBM uses Suse Linux, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Linux Mint is its own distro.

Just as Ubuntu is its own distro.

Debian is upstream of Ubuntu and Ubuntu is upstream of Linux Mint, but all three are separate distros.

How many have died? Likely hundreds.
    A linux distro never dies....it just fades away................

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    ...although Mint's sources.list uses Ubuntu repos, while Ubuntu's list does not use Debian's, although (almost all) the packages are brought over from Debian and rebuilt. All nicely symbiotic.

Such as the death of BackTrack. I think I remember a fellow at one of the DefCons saying he maintains Pentoo on his own and that he releases updates twice a day, though I haven't run it enough to notice.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Murong_Yao View Post
    Ubuntu (including the various desktop environments), Linux Mint (multiple desktop environments as well), Fedora (Oh, well, java gets really tricky on Fedora, so I quitted long ago) and Opensuse happen to be the biggest distros. The little distros may live and die any time.
    Ubuntu is quite mature by now; Linux Mint is somewhat green; I haven't tried Fedora and Opensuse for years! IBM uses Suse Linux, though.
    Your forgot Debian. Without it, Ubuntu and Mint as we know them would not be possible..

Beans

At a glance: futurist.se/gldt though I don't know how current it is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni
    Your forgot Debian. Without it, Ubuntu and Mint as we know them would not be possible..
    The reason that Ubuntu and Linux Mint are higher than Debian on distrowatch is that people often prefer prearranged distros.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast