Thread: Strange upgrade dialog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Strange upgrade dialog

Have you guys come across this. Since a couple of days my update dialog has change a little bit and I do not know why?
    It offers me a partial upgrade - but than it starts the distribution upgrade dialog! How can I fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Strange upgrade dialog

Open a terminal and put in, one at a time:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It will update the package lists, attempt to fix any broken/half-installed packages, then run an upgrade with smart dependency resolution. Note that apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't actually upgrade your distribution, as noted here.

Put the output here if it hits a snag anywhere.
    Last edited by ThatBum; September 3rd, 2014 at 11:04 AM.
    Poof.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What exactly do you mean by "distribution upgrade dialog"? As ThatBum points out, the apt-get option dist-upgrade doesn't upgrade you to a newer version but does an in-version update with intelligent dependency resolution. However, if you have accidentally upgraded to the current development version somehow, which is Utopic/14.10, dist-upgrade can be problematic while a version is still in development.

We need to be sure which version you are running, just in case you have accidentally upgraded or partially upgraded to 14.10. When you run the commands ThatBum suggests, post the output. Also, post the output of this command:

Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here's the output:
    @NUC-desktop:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS"

I'll check out the commands which ThatBum pointed out...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: Strange upgrade dialog

Quote Originally Posted by ThatBum View Post
    Open a terminal and put in, one at a time:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It will update the package lists, attempt to fix any broken/half-installed packages, then run an upgrade with smart dependency resolution. Note that apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't actually upgrade your distribution, as noted here.

Put the output here if it hits a snag anywhere.
    Thank you ThatBum!
    This solved it. Just a quick question on the second command. From the dpkg manual I could see:"Configure a package which has been unpacked but not yet configured. If -a or --pending is given instead of package, all unpacked but unconfigured packages are configured."
    So in my understanding this will take any package that was unpacked previously, but for some reason not upgraded correctly, and the last command will actually upgrade the pending packages. Correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Correct.

The first command is also important. It updates the local package database from the repository servers; it is the actual check for updates. apt-get upgrade downloads and installs said updates based on the comparison of the database to what's installed. If the Internet connection was interrupted during apt-get update some repositories would be updated and some would be outdated, which could be problematic, so make sure it completes successfully.

Also note that apt-get is itself a frontend for dpkg.

Don't forget to mark the thread as solved in thread tools.
    Last edited by ThatBum; September 3rd, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
    Poof.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To those of us running the development release (Utopic Unicorn - 14.10) that dialog is very familiar. I see that every day when I update. I never accept the offer. I click continue and I get the standard update mechanism. Running a Partial Upgrade when using the development release can cause more problems than it would solve.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you