Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rename "Boot EFI"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Rename "Boot EFI"

That's alright then, though it didn't appear to re-create itself on mine. Anyway, as long as it's there that's ok.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Here's a short video I made of what the boot picker looks like on my MacBook Pro. I think it looks better than using refit or refind. It doesn't do anything better than refit/refind but I prefer using the built-in capability rather than using a 3rd party app. Also, if anyone needs to know how I did it, feel free to request and i'll write a short how-to.

http://youtu.be/w0RM3L8r4cE
    Last edited by Vinodh Moodley; April 29th, 2014 at 05:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's very neat. It's a bit involved but neat.
    If you reboot holding the Alt key and get your boot menu up and then hold down the shift key (and keep holding it down) whilst clicking on Ubuntu does the grub menu appear?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    That's very neat. It's a bit involved but neat.
    If you reboot holding the Alt key and get your boot menu up and then hold down the shift key (and keep holding it down) whilst clicking on Ubuntu does the grub menu appear?
    It doesn't appear. I think that this is because I edited GRUB to have a zero timeout and not to search for other OS's. I would prefer not to use GRUB at all but I'll learn how to do that eventually. I'm still recovering from brain pain after figuring out the whole rename "Boot EFI" episode.

Also, my method is not that involved. All you have to do is create a small HFS+ partition (200mb) for efi, copy the relevant boot files, bless GRUBx64.efi and boot.efi. The boot files can be edited in any text editor but should be used as is if you only want to use it for Ubuntu. I can upload the boot files and any relevant info eg. screenshots etc if anyone needs it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would expect grub to appear.
    I appreciate the grub timeout but what happens if you install a new kernel, for instance, that won't boot? With no access at all to grub you can't choose to boot a previous kernel and you're locked out of Ubuntu (other than a chroot).
    That was the downside to booting Ubuntu from EFIstub (can't enter boot prompts).

Yours look better than mine ever did though
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12