Thread: Google Chrome "Unable to connect to the internet" ... but all other browsers can

Beans

Google Chrome "Unable to connect to the internet" ... but all other browsers can

HI all,
    This is driving me crazy - on Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit with google-chrome-stable 33.0.1750.149-1, 33.0.1750.152-1) I get
    "Unable to connect to the internet"
    Its a lie - Firefox, chromium, wget, anything else works fine - There is nothing wrong with the interwebs.
    I have uninstalled and re-installed the package but to no avail. Does anyone have any other ideas ?
    Thanks,
    Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Google Chrome "Unable to connect to the internet" ... but all other browsers can

Does it also happen if you make a new user ?
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Re: Google Chrome "Unable to connect to the internet" ... but all other browsers can

I just created a new user and yes - the same happens..weird thing is if I hit the "more" button in Chrome the error is:

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

This should not happen because I have told the host to use a http/https proxy for all traffic. I know there is no direct connection to the internet hence I have specified the proxy server. Other browsers adhere to this setting.
    Weird thing is it was working..I have also tried deleting ~/.config/google-chrome/* to no avail...cluthching at straws now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Please try, in the firefox setup or prefs, network item (sorry, I'm not on my ubuntu setup so I cannot give a detailed path to this menu) to tick "auto-discover proxy settings" or "auto-discover network settings" or similar wording.
    In my univ, the computer rooms are behind a proxy. Chrome handles it fine. FF only handles it when this option is ticked. Please do not ask me why
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]