Thread: I accidently deleted my backup files made by deja dup, how can I get them back?

Beans

I accidently deleted my backup files made by deja dup, how can I get them back?

I was having issues with my ubuntu install and decided to do a clean install. I backed up my home directory with the stock backup app to a secondary hard drive then in my stupidity(thinking the files were something else) deleted the backup files and did a clean install of ubuntu. Basically what i'm asking is, "How do I recover deleted files on ubuntu?" Could you keep it noob friendly because i'm fairly new.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: I accidently deleted my backup files made by deja dup, how can I get them back?

Are you saying you deleted the files and then did a clean install which included formatting/or writing to that same partition?
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Re: I accidently deleted my backup files made by deja dup, how can I get them back?

No, it's not the same partition. I selected a different hard drive as the backup location

Beans

Just to clarify, I deleted the files(probably moved to trash), then reinstalled ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

So the partition where the files were deleted from has not been overwritten?
    And you did 'delete' the file/s not send them to trash?

If they were deleted, I understand you can use Test Disk's PhotoRec
    I'm no expert but someone may be
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

They would be in a .Trash folder if you just deleted them

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by madverb View Post
    They would be in a .Trash folder if you just deleted them
    For the record the OP said:
    I deleted the files(probably moved to trash), then reinstalled ubuntu
    It's possible that a backup would be too big to trash
    And
    Unless /home was separate and unformatted it will be gone anyway
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

What does his Home have to do with .Trash on a seperate drive? It's not Windows... there isn't a limit to the size of the files being deleted.