Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How are the Trusty Tahr daily releases doing in the usability stakes?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How are the Trusty Tahr daily releases doing in the usability stakes?

The Saucy Extras Repository was not even available until after Saucy was at final release.

Saucy 13.10 was Final Release on October 17, 2013 and the Saucy Extras Repository was not available until December 11, 2013.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Glad to hear that the quality standard is up there where I'd expected. I've never upgraded pre-Alpha 1 before, and I may still wait for 19 December, but I was curious about how things would be ...

Thanks everyone for all your comments and advice!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WebDrake View Post
    Glad to hear that the quality standard is up there where I'd expected. I've never upgraded pre-Alpha 1 before, and I may still wait for 19 December, but I was curious about how things would be ...

Thanks everyone for all your comments and advice!
    You are most welcome. I hope you will be using an additional partition for Trusty. My main distro is Precise 12.04 the current LTS and I also have Mint 13 Maya (essentially Precise).
    The rest are for fun.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    @WebDrake
    I'm have been using Trusty since it opened for testing as my primary and only os. In my opinion it is an excellant OS. I am satisfied with my experience with Trusty beyond expectations. Now for the downside. If your partitions don't facilitate an easy reinstall or if you are unconfortable with a reinstall I would suggest that you stick with what you have until Trusty goes LTS Final. Trusty has had days with great total crash potential depending on your skill set.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I updated a couple of days ago, and the main problem was actually building the USB install disk, as Startup Disk Creator on 13.10 just kept crashing.

There was a hairy/worrying moment when the installer seemed to be frozen, although a quick look at top confirmed that dd was hard at work (actually, that could have been more rather than less worrying ). But now that it's installed it's installed, and working fine, and in fact a couple of small irritations with 13.10 seem to have been fixed.

Yes, there's some potential for things to go BOING in some horrible way, but it's not the first time I've rescued an alpha Ubuntu install via a USB key + chroot, and such a scenario seems to be getting less and less likely with every Ubuntu release (famous last words ...).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installed fresh on Friday. Only very small glitches. Have Chrome Stable and Dropbox added. Trying to be minimal in tweaking so as not to upset anything.

Small issues I've had:
    1) Have had to select language from the panel on login before I could type. This morning's updates seemed to fix this.
    2) Suspend would hang up the system. Happened 3 times.
    3) Rhythmbox controls aren't in the sound menu
    4) I've had warnings that the repos couldn't be accessed when I run the installer, but the updater works just fine after I close the error window.
    5) Image Viewer is having trouble viewing jpgs at random. And hangs when I save photos (usually, having opened them via Thunderbird).

That's it. I have not been blitzed by apports, etc. Just running rather reliably. This is the first time I've run a release pre-beta.

Using a System 76 Lemur Ultra, it's 1 year old approx.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123