Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Beans

Re: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Quote Originally Posted by oskar22m View Post
    This is the way my EFI boot order looks now:

oskar@oskar-MacBookPro:~$ sudo efibootmgr
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 5 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000
    Boot0000* ubuntu
    Boot0080* Mac OS X
    Boot0082*
    BootFFFF*
    oskar@oskar-MacBookPro:~$
    Congratulations. If you want to dual boot via grub, you can follow the trick I found. It is in a post in this thread and also summaried in this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro11-1/Saucy

Beans

Already did that and it works just fine, now a new entry called MacOs shows up in my grub and I can boot with it. But what about the other two MacOs entries: MacOs 32bit and MacOs64bit .How could I remove them ? They don't even work. The screen just stays blank.

What should I do about the graphic card ? Do you have a suggestion ?
    Last edited by oskar22m; December 19th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Beans

Already did that and it works just fine, now a new entry called MacOs shows up in my grub and I can boot with it. But what about the other two MacOs entries: MacOs 32bit and MacOs64bit .How could I remove them ? They don't even work. The screen just stays blank.

What should I do about the graphic card ? Do you have a suggestion ?
    When you do "update-grub", it will go through the programs in /etc/grub.d/ to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg . The file 30_os-prober is responsible for probing other OSes. Try to add to /etc/default/grub this line:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

And then "sudo update-grub". If you had set default OS, you should change it accordingly. I have not tested this but let us know if this works.

I don't have the 11,3, which has a nVidia card. So I don't know how to address issues with it.
    Last edited by lichun1668; December 20th, 2013 at 12:03 AM.

Beans

lichun1668, I figured out what the problem really was. Every time I write Ubuntu on my usb stick from Mac Os somehow it breaks up the partition table on that USB stick . I've tried to do it with a different usb stick but i end up in the same place .
    Should I write Ubuntu on a usb stick from Linux and install from there alongside with Mac Os ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lichun1668 View Post
    When you do "update-grub", it will go through the programs in /etc/grub.d/ to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg . The file 30_os-prober is responsible for probing other OSes. Try to add to /etc/default/grub this line:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

And then "sudo update-grub". If you had set default OS, you should change it accordingly. I have not tested this but let us know if this works.

I don't have the 11,3, which has a nVidia card. So I don't know how to address issues with it.

Yes, it works ! Now when my Macbook boots i only have:
    Ubuntu
    Ubuntu more options
    MacOs

Thank you

Beans

lichun1668, I figured out what the problem really was. Every time I write Ubuntu on my usb stick from Mac Os somehow it breaks up the partition table on that USB stick . I've tried to do it with a different usb stick but i end up in the same place .
    Should I write Ubuntu on a usb stick from Linux and install from there alongside with Mac Os ?
    If you used the dd command to write an iso image to the begining of a USB stick, you are copying faithfully, including the partition table for the image when the image was created. A BIOS partition table might be more "portable" to a new device (such as a USB stick), while a GPT partition table is probably more complicated. So the dd way of creating a USB boot stick is probably the culprit for the warning you saw about a corrupt GPT table. Despite that it seems your USB drive can boot and install Ubuntu successfully.

I don't know how to create a USB boot drive in MacOS without using dd. I created my USB boot drive in a Ubuntu machine using Startup Disk Creator.

I hope you enjoy your Ubuntu. I enjoy it a lot, especially on the mac with SSD and retina screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lichun1668 View Post
    If you used the dd command to write an iso image to the begining of a USB stick, you are copying faithfully, including the partition table for the image when the image was created. A BIOS partition table might be more "portable" to a new device (such as a USB stick), while a GPT partition table is probably more complicated. So the dd way of creating a USB boot stick is probably the culprit for the warning you saw about a corrupt GPT table. Despite that it seems your USB drive can boot and install Ubuntu successfully.

I don't know how to create a USB boot drive in MacOS without using dd. I created my USB boot drive in a Ubuntu machine using Startup Disk Creator.

I hope you enjoy your Ubuntu. I enjoy it a lot, especially on the mac with SSD and retina screen.

Yes, Ubuntu works great and i love it. The only thing is that I like Linux Mint better. I moved to it when Ubuntu addopted the Unity.
    I've tried installing Linux mint but I allways get this error "Cannot install grub to dummy" right before the installation finishes.
    Do you know anything about this ?

Beans

Yes, Ubuntu works great and i love it. The only thing is that I like Linux Mint better. I moved to it when Ubuntu addopted the Unity.
    I've tried installing Linux mint but I allways get this error "Cannot install grub to dummy" right before the installation finishes.
    Do you know anything about this ?
    I have never tried Mint and don't know anything about that error. I have been using gnome-classic (gnome-fallback without compiz) instead of Unity. This 13.10 is the first time I tried to live with Unity. I can live with it. If Canonical would become more like Apple, I would move away from it, maybe to Mint.

Beans

I just tested a USB ethernet adapter and it works with hot plug in and can automatically reconnect after suspend.

Beans

After using Ubuntu gnome fallback on my Macbook pro 11,3 I'm a bit disappointed in this os because programs crash for no reason from time to time .I also can't use gnome fallback with compiz(effects) because it lacks the ALT+TAB option.
    I used to love Ubuntu up until 11.04 I think before they changed it.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast