Thread: How to manually customize keyboard layout switcher in Ubuntu 13.10?

Beans

Question How to manually customize keyboard layout switcher in Ubuntu 13.10?

I'd noticed,in every 3.10-or-newer kernel based linux distro (including Ubuntu 13.10), keyboard layout setting used "Switch to next/previous source using..." (just as in attached pic)

I had used to manually edit files in /usr/share/X11/Xkb directory (add Next/Previous source in symbol/group and add option in rule/*) and added "grave accent" option.

How can I manually editted option of keyboard layout switcher in New age distro ? Is it still possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to manually customize keyboard layout switcher in Ubuntu 13.10?

System Settings> Region & Language (your look different )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Yeah but I can't edit the source file directly like I did in those days with stuff in /usr/share/xkb/* and so I can't use Grave accent to change the layout or even Alt+Shift.
    Gnome-tweak-tool can't help too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That text entry dialog should have the default key combinations in those two panels. They are:

Switch to next source using: Super+Space
    Switch to previous source using: Shift+Super+Space

If we click on either of the panels the default key combination changes to "New Accelerator." Click again and the default setting reverts back. If we press a key combination whilst the words "New Accelerator" are showing then the accelerator or switch will change to the new key combination. There should be no need to edit a configuration file but that file is still there in /usr/share/X11/Xkb/group. How useful it is I cannot tell you.

When we install 13.10 we are told that Super+Space is now the default hotkey for Dbus.

I find that it is sensible before upgrading to a new version of Ubuntu to install the new version in another partition of about 10 - 20 GB and test it out and see if I can set it up to how I like it to be.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

There is an open bug that I think is related to the problem of yours.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1218322

Beans

Unhappy Re: How to manually customize keyboard layout switcher in Ubuntu 13.10?

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    That text entry dialog should have the default key combinations in those two panels. They are:

Switch to next source using: Super+Space
    Switch to previous source using: Shift+Super+Space

If we click on either of the panels the default key combination changes to "New Accelerator." Click again and the default setting reverts back. If we press a key combination whilst the words "New Accelerator" are showing then the accelerator or switch will change to the new key combination. There should be no need to edit a configuration file but that file is still there in /usr/share/X11/Xkb/group. How useful it is I cannot tell you.

When we install 13.10 we are told that Super+Space is now the default hotkey for Dbus.

I find that it is sensible before upgrading to a new version of Ubuntu to install the new version in another partition of about 10 - 20 GB and test it out and see if I can set it up to how I like it to be.

Regards.
    I knew that but ,with different combination keys, changing layout for every 3-4 word while typing long document would be royal pain in the ass. I can tell.
    Bottom line - I need single key and I think the strength of FOSS is freedom & customizable.

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    There is an open bug that I think is related to the problem of yours.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1218322
    About that bug, I think so too. (My problem ,grave accent thing, was nearly hopeless)

Just wonder about new xkb system configuration and its new structure. Which file/config do response for it?
    Last edited by iambodin; October 6th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Beans

iambodin the files you are looking for is in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to General Help, seeing as Saucy has been released.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slepichev View Post
    iambodin the files you are looking for is in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols
    That's not work anymore in Ubuntu 13.10. That's why I raised this topic.