Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Marks Shuttleworth's message to all Ubuntu haters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Marks Shuttleworth's message to all Ubuntu haters.

Well, your loss my friend...apparently you have no sense of adventure...read my response to you in your other thread about this....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by VietCanada View Post
    So I moved on. I now use Mint Mate.
    Good for you -- glad you found something that's a good fit for you. Use what works for you.

My guess is that nobody besides you cares which distro you use. Is it important to you that I prefer to use Ubuntu instead of Mint? That I like Unity a lot better than Cinnamon? That I spent some years running both Ubuntu and Mint and found myself less than satisfied with the way things were being done with Mint? I doubt it. But I know that Mint's still a great distro; it's just no longer a good fit for me. No big deal.

From your post in another thread:

Complaining about it is becoming perilously close to complaining in the old USSR.
    So why bother posting here to complain about Ubuntu, then?

Beans

So you're saying that 'only those who have no sense of adventure don't use Ubuntu'? LOL
    Friend, I have lived and worked in two different countries as well as my own these past 13 years. I think my sense of adventure, my open mindeness and acceptance of change are all quite a bit above grade.

But then that is not really an argument is it? It's a criticism of me for not using Ubuntu.

Are you telling me to get lost?

I used to use Ubuntu, now I don't. I came here to say why. I think that is relevant to this discussion and others concerning the changes to Ubuntu. Those changes are why I left.
    Last edited by VietCanada; August 1st, 2013 at 06:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

But then that is not really an argument is it? It's a criticism of me for not using Ubuntu.
    Oh - hum, I've been away for two or three hours and frankly, I don't understand why you are still here.

Good luck to you -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have to say, it is really amazing. As I said in another post, I was from the OpenSuse/Suse world since around 2000, Suse until about 2008, OpenSuse 2008-2013, preferring Gnome, as the years went by, while I became increasingly disillusioned with KDE. But by the time OpenSuse 12.3 was released, I was ready for a change. I kept asking myself, "Where is OpenSuse headed?" or "Where is GNU/Linux headed?" . Every 6-8 months there was new release, the same as the old release, just newer versions of everything, huh, where is the evolution? But in the Windows world, obvious evolution is happening - XP --> Vista --> Windows 7 --> Windows 8, and in Apple you have OS/X evolution with IOS evolution. I looked around and landed with Ubuntu. I get it, the energy is here; it may have been with Fedora, it may have been with OpenSuse, but it left those groups and it has landed right here. If people in the Linux community want to help Linux become the true third wave of computing, they need to follow Ubuntu, because otherwise, following groups like OpenSuse will permanently relegate Linux to a 4th class status, an operating system for the few, not the many because the other groups thrive on the Linux fragmentation, which is the main Achilles heel for Linux, and instead of increasing the power of Linux at the expense of proprietary systems, the effect is just the opposite and eventually Linux will become pointless as Android becomes the true new game in in town. Ubuntu/Unity is the solution and the opportunity to keep Linux growing beyond merely the supercomputer/server world right onto literally hundreds of millions of desktops. MS controls well over 1 billion desktops and Unity is the only DE which has the potential to grab a significant share of that 1 billion.
    Last edited by RichardET; August 1st, 2013 at 07:34 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    Oh - hum, I've been away for two or three hours and frankly, I don't understand why you are still here.

Good luck to you -
    LOL Well I'm leaving now. Whenever I look for articles on Linux I keep seeing stuff about how great Linux Mint Cinnamon is. I've been dling it and putting it onto a USB while chatting here and now I'm ready to install it and see what all the fuss is about.

BTW thanks and good luck to you too. Hope the phone thing works out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Well, your loss my friend...apparently you have no sense of adventure...read my response to you in your other thread about this....
    "no sense of adventure"
    Well for me this kind of its ignorant of concerns over where Ubuntu is going.
    Its not a lack of a sense of adventure, its more common sense.
    Why should we use Mir instead of what is working now?
    Why is Mir being pushed when many have said they wont support it?
    What happens to applications that wont support Mir?
    These are all sensible questions.
    The notion of it all is foolish in my mind, there is no real nice way to say it.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; August 1st, 2013 at 08:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubuntu is going wherever Canonical plans for it to go. Ubuntu is not a "community" project although it does value its community and the people involved in it., It's a commercial concern. Ubuntu isn't a democracy (as was stated by Mr Shuttleworth) decisions need to be made and although we can maybe change the way its looked at and give alternatives (that in the end actually get chose)we have no real affect on it.

As far as Mir is concerned they needed something that was

A) Adaptable (Phone, Tablet, Desktop)

B) Small footprint

C) Unity focused

This all adds up to why we have Mir, Everyone harps on about Wayland, why is it that we cannot have a choice in the Display server, like we do in everything else. We choose what DE we use and that for now will dictate the display server Unity = Mir, KDE/Gnome = Wayland.

If people are leaving because of the direction Ubuntu is going that is their choice, the same as it is the choice of others like myself to watch the situation and see where this is all going. Mir will not be the end of Ubuntu (same as Unity wasn't the end, even when it was said to be), its another beginning. Mir is a doorway to a larger area for Ubuntu.

As for comment about why we don't stick with what we have. As I said before X is 26 years old and is nothing but a mass of hacks, band aids. Generally if something messes up screen wise its 99% Xs fault. X needs to be replaced, it should have already been replaced Wayland was the project to replace it (and still is). The bit that I find funny is that since Mir was announced and then said to be default in 14.04 (moved now to 13.10) the work on Wayland and the push to support it has been massive. Mir put a fire up the Wayland developers *beep* and already has seen Wayland improve.
    Last edited by ZoiaGuyver; August 1st, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZoiaGuyver View Post
    it does value its community and the people involved in it.
    O'rly? How about an example? ;)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well look at every page we have for Ubuntu, every resource.. We don't "pay" for any of it we are asked to contribute if we have the time and want. Launchpad, Askubuntu, even these forums. If they didn't value the community they could just say "screw it" and not give us anything and leave it to just the forums (or nothing at all). Yes the projects also help them to improve Ubuntu (thats part of what open source is about, whats the point in open source if you don't have a community to share it with?).

They also give us Ubuntu itself, they are always working on improving it (as do we the "community"). They do weekly vlogs, and Q&A sessions, no other distro I'm aware of has that sort of communication with the Community (other than mailing lists).

So yeah I'd say they are probably above other distros where the community is concerned and the care a lot more for it. Ubuntu also brought other companies to the table for the community and because of the community.

I know someone will probably give some comment about how "all that is necessary" but ask yourself, does Mint, Opensuse, Fedora put the same kind of value on its community (for atleast two of them I can say they don't).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast