Thread: Window managers, file managers, desktop managers and confusion

Beans

Window managers, file managers, desktop managers and confusion

Hello World!

I have toyed with linux for over a decade, but the user experience always killed it. My latest entry is a new desktop, which is able to handle most of what I need. (Outlook /Office is the app exception, per-file level encryption is the other)

One thing I have never had a clear understanding of was the role/nature of desktop environments, window managers and file managers. I'm an ever-newb with linux and this is the first time I've cared to learn more about it.

With Ubuntu, I've understand that Unity is now the default desktop environment. What I didn't really understand is how window and file managers are part of this. I've read this article now, and its helped:

http://www.intellovations.com/2012/0...-environments/

With Ubuntu, by default, the desktop environment is Unity, the window manager is Compiz, and the file manager is Nautilis.

The confusion has always come in not clearly delineating the functions of each.

Presentation and layout of the whole desktop screen = shell/UI
    Drawing the outlines and colors of windows = window manager
    Providing interaction with files and applications = file manager
    The sum of the GUI experience = desktop environment

With Ubuntu, by default, the shell/UI is Unity, the window manager is Compiz, and the file manager is Nautilis and the desktop environment is Unity/GNOME (Because its made of both).

Hope it helps. And if someone thinks I'm off here, let me know. I just want to help us newb's.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Window managers, file managers, desktop managers and confusion

Quote Originally Posted by fr33z0n3r View Post
    I have toyed with linux for over a decade, but the user experience always killed it.
    Welcome to the forums. Hope you stick it out with us this time. I predict you will be well rewarded.

Presentation and layout of the whole desktop screen = shell/UI
    Drawing the outlines and colors of windows = window manager
    Providing interaction with files and applications = file manager
    The sum of the GUI experience = desktop environment

With Ubuntu, by default, the shell/UI is Unity, the window manager is Compiz, and the file manager is Nautilis and the desktop environment is Unity/GNOME (Because its made of both).
    I think you're close enough to deserve a cigar, but 1 and 4 are a tad redundant. I would change 1 to:

"Creation and drawing of the whole desktop = X"

...and you would have a pretty complete picture.