Thread: Ubuntu won't mount my creative zen mp3 player

Beans

Ubuntu won't mount my creative zen mp3 player

A friend of mine just gave me his old 8 gig zen v plus, and I can't get it to work in 12.04. Most often, it either won't mount at all, or will only mount it for a few minutes. I will often get the window popping up asking me what I want to do with it, and then that disappears along with the eject icon next to the player's name in the home folder screen. When it doesn't mount at all, it generally says something to the effect that it can't mount this "camera". When I'm really lucky and it seems to remain mounted, once I try to put files on it in either rhythmbox, banshee, gMTP, or even just from my music folder, I get the error message "Unable to send file to MTP device: PTP Layer error 2002: add_object_to_cache(): couldn't add object to cache". Often after attempting to move files onto it, whatever program I'm using to do so will crash. I've looked at old forum posts, but most of them have to do with older versions of Ubuntu, and their suggestions so far haven't worked. If anyone can help me out with this I will be most grateful!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu won't mount my creative zen mp3 player

Thread moved to Hardware.

(and a free bump too )

Beans

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

old thread revival

First go to system settings / Details

Try to make it do nothing when you plug it in

Don't let it start Rythmbox or Banchee cause it makes them crash or freeze

--Go to Computer and see if you see your device shown if you can click into the file structure then it's mounted if not then try to right click and mount it.
    -- Then you can start gMTP and wait a few seconds for it to do whatever it does don't just click Connect give it like 15 secs or so.
    -- Then click connect and give it another 15-20 secs to connect.
    -- then you should be able to add your stuff
    -- You have to disconnect also once your done
    -- then go back to computer and make sure it's unmounted

I have no idea why but I sort of have this zen player down to a science and was able to get it working that way.

Beans

Thank you so, so much!! Worked for me (Ubuntu 13.04, Player: Creative ZEN V Plus)