Thread: Jynx2 won't compile

Beans

Jynx2 won't compile

I'm trying to run the Jynx userlevel rootkit in different distros in VirtualBox (just out of curiosity), but I'm having trouble compiling it.

Code:
    alex@virtualbox:~/jynx2$ make
    gcc -m64 jynx2.c -Wall -shared -fPIC -ldl -lssl -o jynx2.so
    jynx2.c:16:25: fatal error: openssl/ssh.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated
    make: *** [jynx2.so] Error 1
    I have a very basic understanding of C, but I still don't understand why this header isn't available. It's coming from this line in jynx2.c:

Code:
    #include <openssl/ssl.h>
    I looked through the CoC and couldn't find anything against this btw, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not trying to use this for malicious purposes.

Beans

Re: Jynx2 won't compile

You need to install libssl-dev. That includes the various libraries and header files for OpenSSL.

You'll likely encounter other missing -dev dependencies along the way. You'll need to track them down by hand since there is no version of this program in the Ubuntu repositories. If you are building a package from source that does have a repository version, you can use the convenient command "apt-get build-dep packagename" which will install all the dependencies associated with "packagename." For software with no existing Ubuntu build, you're on your own.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Jynx2 won't compile

Thank you.

Also, how realistic of a threat do rootkits like Jynx pose? It's a userland rootkit so it doesn't even require root access to infect a computer.