Thread: Have linux box pull files from windows through rsync

Beans

Have linux box pull files from windows through rsync

Is it possible to have my linux server pull files from my girlfriends windows pc using rsync? Does anyone know a way?

I tried several apps but they all send it from windows to my linux server but I want the opposite to be in control when and how much backups are made.

Beans

Re: Have linux box pull files from windows through rsync

Are you trying to backup files from the Windows machine to the Linux machine? If so I'd mount a share from the Linux machine on the Windows machine and use Robocopy (like rsync but from Microsoft). Or you could use rsync on the Windows machine through Cygwin.

If you must initiate the backup from the Linux machine you'd have to share everything you want to backup from the Windows machine and mount it on the Linux machine. Either way works I suppose.

Beans

I am trying to backup up file that are on a windows machine by accessing it from a linux server using rsync. I have a nice full/incr backup script which works great for backing up my linux pc so I'd like to use it for the windows pc as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cygwin is the only way I know of that might truly work. But even then there are no magic fixes for file ownership/permissions.
    Give me Free Software or Give me Death!

Beans

Thanks a lot! It took me some time to get it installed but now I have it up and running it seems to do exactly what I want!

yay!