Thread: Linux Kernel Panic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Linux Kernel Panic

Today I experienced something that I have never seen before: a Linux kernel panic. Now I know as much as anyone that no OS is perfect. OSs are made by humans and humans make mistakes so no OS is going to be perfectly stable and bug free. Even so some OSs come close (Linux anybody?). Anyways I was wondering what causes a kernel panic and possibly how I can prevent it from happening in the future. Thank you!
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED] (if it's ever fixed), it makes helping others easier.

Beans

Re: Linux Kernel Panic

Hello,

I am not an expert. I also experienced a whole lot of kernel panics after an update to a new kernel version, every time I tried to log in.

As In am unable to fix the problem, I am running Ubuntu with an older kernel version, which is stable and does not have any problems.
    (when restarting the computer, select "previous linux versions" and choose one of the previous kernels)

Hope this helps until the real bug is fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux Kernel Panic

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary101 View Post
    Today I experienced something that I have never seen before: a Linux kernel panic. Now I know as much as anyone that no OS is perfect. OSs are made by humans and humans make mistakes so no OS is going to be perfectly stable and bug free. Even so some OSs come close (Linux anybody?). Anyways I was wondering what causes a kernel panic and possibly how I can prevent it from happening in the future. Thank you!
    Anything in essence can cause a kernel panic (ie. hardware and/or software faults). The kernel is just the bridge between the hardware and software and vice versa. If a memory location become corrupt hardware wise, this may trigger a kernel panic when the OS tries to allocate something to that location. On the other hand, poorly written code (such which causes tremendous memory leaks) can also cause a kernel panic.

-Red
    Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

Parabola: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
    Completely freed... Libre GNU/Linux !!!