Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard drives failing over and over

Beans

Angry Hard drives failing over and over

Now this isn't a ubuntu based issue,
    But I wanted to share it with you all.
    This is the 3rd time my HD has failed in my living room desktop.
    Last drive I put in, I put a double fan on it, and extra case fan, everything has been cool. (I thought heat might have been an issue).

8 current pending sector counts,
    7,858,730 On the fly errors.

1 word:
    Subwoofer.
    I had read about how this might case issues, but I never thought this little computer sound system would rattle the disk enought to ever effect it.
    I have 3 other computers here... one is about 10 years old... still original disk.
    Other one 7 years old, still original disk.

I am now pegging vibrations and noise as a serious HD killer. I think I'll put a little SSD HD in this unit, and build a storage server downstairs away from any noise or vibrations.

Anyone have any leads or advice to HD's other than my usual tigerdirect bargain bin? lol.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Hard drives failing over and over !!!!!

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Hard drives failing over and over !!!!!

Funny, one of my systems is placed atop of a speaker with a subwoofer that's lager then my face, the same speaker i always play songs with quite a bit of bass and that computer's still going strong on the same hd it had for ages (not the original hd because i swapped it out when i got the system, like i do with every system of mine that isn't a laptop or so old that it's parts won't fit on other systems).

(PS. I have a 20yrs old computer with it's original hd still going strong, what's the point you're trying to make?)
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans

Re: Hard drives failing over and over

@OP, May I ask if you have your system on a battery backup (UPS type)?
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

I am still using a 6.5 or 6.something hard drive that is still going strong. It was orginally used in an p2 300 something dell. No noise or sluggishness.

Also have a couple of elderly 20 gigs and 40 gigs i use often for backs and test machines. Still going fine.

Running ubuntu 12.04 with 4 drives from 200gig to 1gig ( no used ones bought all new ) and had 11.10 and 10.04 on previously.

If it is very hot near the machines i remove the side cover so more air can get out. this works for me maybe work for you also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by jmore9 View Post
    I am still using a 6.5 or 6.something hard drive that is still going strong. It was orginally used in an p2 300 something dell. No noise or sluggishness.

Also have a couple of elderly 20 gigs and 40 gigs i use often for backs and test machines. Still going fine.

Running ubuntu 12.04 with 4 drives from 200gig to 1gig ( no used ones bought all new ) and had 11.10 and 10.04 on previously.

If it is very hot near the machines i remove the side cover so more air can get out. this works for me maybe work for you also.
    I have one 40mb hdd that's still going strong after 20yrs.
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@parkland, you failed to mention what make and model hard drive you are having problems with. I've had a Seagate 750GiB replaced twice under warranty, and it needs to be replaced again, fortunately, it's still under warranty until October 2013, so It's going back a third time. The first two times it failed, it was in my server,which sits on a shelf in my garage, this time around it's in an external enclosure, still connected to the server, but only used as a secondary backup device.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I never thought of that but I suppose a subwoofer could chew up a hdd over time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If heat is not the issue then I'd look at other causes. Quality of power supply, vibration and maybe dust are worth taking a look at. I suspect it's the power supply personally.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    @OP, May I ask if you have your system on a battery backup (UPS type)?

No, it is not.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast