Thread: Photoshop to Gimp

Beans

Smile Photoshop to Gimp

I moved from Windows to Lubuntu. As a graphics designer I have always been use to the Photoshop series for all my graphic work and moving to Gimp seemed to be difficult because of the lack in the features that I needed to create the graphics I did in PS. After doing a little research I found a guide that I thought I would share on the forums for users that have moved from Photoshop to Gimp as it really helped me. Check it out below,

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...ace-photoshop/

Beans

Re: Photoshop to Gimp

Hi
    I run both on Linux. Photoshop on Wine, works perfect. Just for the windows key read on some sites, don't remember what exactly it's used for.

Beans

At least I know I'm not the only graphic designer crazy enough to ditch Adobe Suite and go for free software (it's still good to know that it can be run on Wine in case of emergency).
    I'm my Photoshop to GIMP transition went pretty smooth and, so far, I haven't missed Photoshop's features a lot. It's the Illustrator to Inkscape transition what's taking more time and effort than I'd like.

Beans

I am not that familiar with the conversion of the files but I think using Linux at the same time will definitely help you in converting files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Adobe sure made a PR error recently. Here's the update..
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05...urity_fix_row/

Back when I used Windows 98 there was a fantastic bug in Photoshop. Using the "Automate" function would delete all your source images if you selected the destination to be above the source in the same directory path. It deleted them instantly and permanently!
    I'll stick with the Gimp

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine009 View Post
    I am not that familiar with the conversion of the files but I think using Linux at the same time will definitely help you in converting files.
    I switched the other way - GIMP and InkScape first. I still try to do things in Illustrator and PhotoShop like I'm using GIMP and InkScape. It's been 3 years. Once InkScape gets out of beta, I'll try it again, and I still prefer GIMP for creating web images. It's really all about what you learn first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm using Inkscape heavily on my production works. Illustrator features can save you a lot of time indeed, but it can be done in Inkscape just another ways. I would say for beginer, Inkscape is all you want, but for pro, it still has a lot to do especially on CMYK support, path operation, processing speed, better non-English font support and so on .

For my works, every thing work fine except the lack of fully CYMK support, which is the most hardest part from Illustrator to Inkscape. I would suggest an extension call "ExportPDFCMYK" and its series with TIFF, JPEG and PNG CMYK export. Of cause, you have something to do before those extensions work as expected.

As far as today web development goes, Inkcape is your best bet to replace Illustrator. Its native file format .svg is also the standard vector file use on website. All modern browsers today also support .svg natively, of cause with onerror fall back. And don't forget to save in Plain SVG instead Inkscape SVG, to reduce your .svg size.

For GIMP, I'm not sure. I'm only using some basic staffs. 2.8 is the best release by far.
    Last edited by Kreaninw; May 19th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ooo, I need to bookmark this for my friends trying to switch to Linux.

Beans

I learned GIMP forst, so swapping to PhotoShop was a pain. It has been three years and I still try to do things in PhotoShop the GIMP way. IMHO, GIMP is much better for creating art non-vector art. I've used both for photo editing, and they are both as good as the photographer/editor using them.