Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to add grub2 to xp bootloader

Beans

[SOLVED]how to add grub2 to xp bootloader

i've search how to aadd grub2 to xp bootloader, but i only found for old grub, when i try
    Code:
    sudo dd if/dev/sda7 of=/media/windows/ubuntu.bin bs=512 count=1
    and put
    Code:
    c:\ubuntu.bin="ubuntu 11.10"
    it appear in xp bootloader but when i choose ubuntu it restart by itself
    how to fix it?
    Last edited by mandud; February 22nd, 2012 at 07:26 AM.

Beans

Re: how to add grub2 to xp bootloader

Try the other way around and add XP to the grub-bootmenu. If you installed xp first and then ubuntu your grub-bootmenu should already be ok. You may have to activate the partition that contains ubuntu.

Beans

thanks for reply,yeah i see grub-bootmenu,the problem is i have 3 XP OS
    when my pc start it show grub-bootmenu and it show ubuntu menu and menu for xp bootloader (in this bootloader i have put 4 os)
    1.xp 1
    2.xp 2
    3.xp 3
    4.ubuntu

all xp can be boot normally except the ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mandud View Post
    ...it appear in xp bootloader but when i choose ubuntu it restart by itself
    Is this the first time you try ubuntu? Maybe your ubuntu does not work because of some hardware-issue, wrong graphics-driver maybe. Happens often . Finding the reason for that can be really frustrating. So if you are new to ubuntu try another ...buntu instead, like lubuntu or xubuntu or linux mint. They are much less fragile than ubuntu with its very error-prone unity-desktop and easier to get running.

-

... when my pc start it show grub-bootmenu and it show ubuntu menu and menu for xp bootloader (in this bootloader i have put 4 os)
    As for the bootmenu: What I meant was, do NOT use the xp bootloader to start ubuntu. Do NOT put C:\ubuntu.bin in your C:\boot.ini. Only use grub to start ubuntu and all your XPs. Keep it simple.

Grub can also start each of your three xp-installations. Again no need for the XP-bootloader. After installing ubuntu you should automatically find each of your xp's in the grub-menu. This is the same for ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, linux mint.
    Last edited by stn21; February 18th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stn21 View Post
    Is this the first time you try ubuntu? Maybe your ubuntu does not work because of some hardware-issue, wrong graphics-driver maybe. Happens often . Finding the reason for that can be really frustrating. So if you are new to ubuntu try another ...buntu instead, like lubuntu or xubuntu or linux mint. They are much less fragile than ubuntu with its very error-prone unity-desktop and easier to get running.

-

As for the bootmenu: What I meant was, do NOT use the xp bootloader to start ubuntu. Do NOT put C:\ubuntu.bin in your C:\boot.ini. Only use grub to start ubuntu and all your XPs. Keep it simple.

Grub can also start each of your three xp-installations. Again no need for the XP-bootloader. After installing ubuntu you should automatically find each of your xp's in the grub-menu. This is the same for ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, linux mint.
    no,many times i've installed ubuntu,but not with 3 xp, only xp and ubuntu
    if i enter using grub menu it can boot normally but if i using xp bootloader its restart directly

how to add all xp into grub menu?

Beans
    Hidden!

i've search how to aadd grub2 to xp bootloader, but i only found for old grub, when i try
    Code:
    sudo dd if/dev/sda7 of=/media/windows/ubuntu.bin bs=512 count=1
    and put
    Code:
    c:\ubuntu.bin="ubuntu 11.10"
    it appear in xp bootloader but when i choose ubuntu it restart by itself
    how to fix it?
    you probably did all right, but this needsthe grub2 to be installed in the pbr.
    OK, with default install of ubuntu, this is possible and will install grub2 into the pbr if set correctly during install.
    But:
    it is not recomended to install grub2 into pbr, apparently because of the large size of some files and it can break easy in this position. And I can tell you it does break , not too often, but often enough of upgrades etc.

Therefore for this one should replace the grub2 with legacy grub.
    try here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=revert+grub2

then take care that you install the grub to the pbr of the partition in question only.

Then do the xp bootloader setup and also leave in the grub legacy in the pbr only the kernels in th eown partition and all os of the computer, this will lead to bite the tail situation sometimes.

BTW: not quite sure how you boot the system at first at all?
    Do you use grub2 in the mbr or first XP to start and call from the the other XP?
    If second is right, then you need the procedure I have given you above. Youu need complete bootmanager inside your partition with ubuntu in that case unfortunately.
    Last edited by ottosykora; February 18th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

>What I meant was, do NOT use the xp bootloader to start ubuntu. Do NOT put C:\ubuntu.bin in your C:\boot.ini. Only use grub to start ubuntu and all your XPs. Keep it simple.

Grub can also start each of your three xp-installations. Again no need for the XP-bootloader. After installing ubuntu you should automatically find each of your xp's in the grub-menu. This is the same for ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, linux mint.<

sure right, but!
    as you know, grub can not be deinstalled or removed, it resides then in the linux partition which was installed last and this is not what some people want.

Using XP boot loader was done for many years as standard procedure to preserve windows installation and make linux removable without making the system unbootable.

So in fact, using xp boot manger was long time standard for testing a linux installation and then delete it again etc, similar to the usage we have wubi for ubuntu now.

Beans

thanks for all your helps..
    finally i use grub-customizer to manage the boot
    i order xp to the top of grub menu

but i still dont understand how to put 3 xp into grub loader
    its only detect first xp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

thanks for all your helps..
    finally i use grub-customizer to manage the boot
    i order xp to the top of grub menu

but i still dont understand how to put 3 xp into grub loader
    its only detect first xp
    Detecting only one XP is no fault of grub.

When you install more than one windows OS it is designed to combine the boot files. So, all boot process for as many windows OS you have, is combined into one. Ubuntu detects this one and adds it to the boot menu.

That's why there is always only one entry for windows in the boot menu.

There is a workaround for this, but it needs to be done before installing the XP systems. By moving the boot flag to the target partition BEFORE installing your XPs, you can avoid the boot files being combined. Then ubuntu will detect all three and make three entries in the boot menu.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!

>https://www.wuala.com/ottosykora/SHARED/DAT/?key=nCs62R33czrV<

how are those xp installed? In what kind of partitions?

In fact with windows systems, when more of them are installed, I was using hide-unhide in the grub, as otherwise all gets very messy as windows claims the system path is C: and chnages the drive letters all the time.

So when I boot windows nr2 for example, I have in the grub unhide command for the windows I want see now and hide command for the two others.

How di you install the 2nd and 3rd xp ? Did you hide the partition with the previous install and then did complete install to the next partition?

Or were the xp installed as second to the primary xp in which case they have to bee started from the xp where the bootmanager is configured.

For more complex system which has w98se, xp, w7, fedora, ubuntu, debian and sometimes one knoppix or similar extra, I have separate dedicated partition for the grub only. Hide-unhide the windows partitions so they dont get confused.
    The advantage is, I can delete any os and the rest will work without problem.

ok, darko was faster, and dead right! this is what I have been doing during the install.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast