Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in having a configuration tool for .lens files ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Anyone interested in having a configuration tool for .lens files ?

Hello everyone.

With more and more Unity lens being created, this feature gets very important.
    So part of their configuration being stored in /usr/share/unity/lenses, I thought someone would be interested in a configuration tool for them.

I have already written one in Haskell that lets you edit some basic fields but I am not sure if anyone would really need it.

Here is the github repo: https://github.com/cgroza/LensesManager

I could do a 32 bit executable if someone wants it because you will need to install quite a lot of things to compile it.
    I have attached a screen shot below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cgroza; February 8th, 2012 at 02:55 AM.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Anyone interested in having a configuration tool for .lens files ?

Looks nice, cgroza.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Suppose someone copied a lens and renamed it. Would this tool let a person configure that lens to do something other than what the original lens did? In other words, would this tool short cut the making of a lens?

Ordinary users need something other than learning how to code lenses and scopes.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Suppose someone copied a lens and renamed it. Would this tool let a person configure that lens to do something other than what the original lens did? In other words, would this tool short cut the making of a lens?

Ordinary users need something other than learning how to code lenses and scopes.

Regards.
    No. This tool was designed to allow to change things such as the name of the lens, the description, the assigned shortcut key, the icon, the search hint and whether the lens should be displayed by the dash.
    The last feature could be useful to hide lens without going through the hassle of actually removing the lens through the software center.

It does require to logout/login for the changes to take effect.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

this is nice .. checked the github page but not in development anymore? how can I install or use this on my 12.04?
    Proverbs 16:9
    In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by itagomo View Post
    this is nice .. checked the github page but not in development anymore? how can I install or use this on my 12.04?
    I saw no interest in it at that time and Unity was still divided in 2d and 3d, and then school came and I couldn't continue. I will probably revive it when some free time comes along.

Beans
    Distro

I will give it the ability to open files other than those in /usr/share/unity/places.
    And maybe I will add some other features if anyone finds this application remotely useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: Anyone interested in having a configuration tool for .lens files ?

I was looking for something like this, there is a lot of interest but we have to make it know. Maybe Canonical can accept it as upstream now that they wish to include 100 lenses in 13.04, a 12.04 back port would be awesome (i use 12.04). I'm specially interested in the lenses shortcut editor and hide feature.

What need to be done to start the project again?
    This quote is witty and funny

Beans

That would be nice, the lenses are a good idea but I wish they had some tweakability.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I still want Sam Hewitt's design for the Unity Dash settings screen. Mockups at the end of this article on WebUpD8. Originally from the Ayatana mailing list, apparently.

I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast