Thread: Problem installing Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Problem installing Ubuntu 11.04

I have tried installing 11.04 from disk and got as far as "Keyboard Layout" and it has stoped loading. In the field under "Ready when you are" there is the line: "Feb 2 20:17:03 ubuntu CRON[9198]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)"
    I dont know what this means and am unsure if I should abandon and start again. can anyone help please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Problem installing Ubuntu 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I have tried installing 11.04 from disk and got as far as "Keyboard Layout" and it has stoped loading. In the field under "Ready when you are" there is the line: "Feb 2 20:17:03 ubuntu CRON[9198]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)"
    I dont know what this means and am unsure if I should abandon and start again. can anyone help please?
    Better try again. But my question is, why don't you try 11.10? It's exactly the same and is the latest version, means less problems like this.

Beans

Thanks for help. I got 11.04 free with Mag and as windows XP had crashed on an old computer I thought I would give it a try. Is it possible to update to 11.10 later?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Of course you can. But I suggested 11.10 to avoid the problem you mentioned. In any case maybe the installation disc has a problem. Try not to install and when you have the screen to choose between Try and Install, choose try and wait to see if it's working from the CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Make sure your username doesn't have spaces or capital letters, and don't use technical words like "root", "user", admin, etc as your username. These words confuse the Ubuntu 11.04 installer. It's a known bug fixed in 11.10's installer.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.